“Good, but ”

Ranked #73 of 13 550 Restaurants in Rome
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We went to ton Stella in June. I loved the food, but I can not say the same about the service. I ordered a tonnarello and it was perfect. The tiramisu was amazing. The only problem was a rude waiter.

Write a ReviewReviews (10 400)

112 - 116 of 10 400 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

After reading the reviews on here and seeing many queue up, my partner and I decided to have supper at Tonarello. What a terrible disappointment! We are staying in Travestere and whenever we walk by, I just want to tell other tourists (because honestly, we didn’t see any locals in there) to spend their precious time and money elsewhere.

The fried artichoke was completely dry - a few seconds more in the fryer from turning into dust. Our pasta (Cacio e Pepe and carbonara) were rather salty and lacklustre. To be honest, the €4 pasta we had at a tiny takeaway place near the Spanish Steps was so much better.

The dining experience in itself was even worse. We had ordered a bottle of wine with our food, but the different courses were brought out in such quick succession (we still had the appetizers on the table when the primi arrived) that we barely had time to enjoy it. After having to pour the wine for ourselves all along, we had to chug down the last glasses, because once we put down our utensils, we were brought the bill. The waiter then loudly announced that « this table would be free soon » so with other diners standing close to our table, waiting to take our seats, we decided it was high time to get out of this less than mediocre place.

With food that is less authentic than what we get at our local Italian restaurant in Canada and horrid service to match, both of us can’t figure where all these good reviews come from. If you decide to try Tonarello, I hope we just went on a bad night...

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Great authentic homemade pasta. We have the cacio e pepe pasta & margarita pizza.

To add we had fabulous service by Giuseppe while we sat outside

Overall great atmosphere, good for lunch/dinner—you name it!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I came here with a large group of people and the staff was extremely accommodating and timely. There were a few people with dietary issues and they were able to meet everyone’s needs! I would especially recommend the bolognese and tiramisu.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Tonnarello has an awesome and delicious menu. Very great customer service, friendly and attentive. My first week in Rome I ate here with some friends and made sure to get back there before I left! Delicious!

Been to Tonnarello? Share your experiences!