“Tummy vacant after the Vatican? Missing a meal at the museum? Feed the need here.”

La Soffitta Renovatio
Ranked #697 of 13 868 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$11 - US$56
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Prati
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Impressions:Very gluten friendly, has a funky, cool pizza place vibe, very friendly and engaging service, the style is upscale pizza/Italian, ample menu, wine list not viewed, moderately priced

I have searched for many years for a good/great restaurant near the Vatican and failed until now. Situated between the Ottaviano metro stop and St. Peter's Square it is a great place to stop whether visiting the Vatican or the Vatican museums The restaurant, located in a basement which makes the name is ironic (I have read the history), is welcoming and invites one in to eat and have a good time. The dark walls rise to slightly above the tables, covered by white tablecloths underneath and dark tablecloths on top, then switch to white which curve into the ceiling. There are many pictures and pizza blades on the walls to view while waiting. The staff was very helpful and sociable. The menu contained many choices, all of which can be made gluten free. The gluten free pizza was one of the best we had tasted anywhere. Everybody enjoyed their meal. We watched an apple torte being expertly made at a nearby table while we waited giving us a lunch and a pastry demonstration. I will be back the next time I visit the Vatican.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 888)

68 - 72 of 1 888 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

First night in Rome, received recommendation from hotel that this was the place to find gluten free food for our son. Little did we know it was going to be such an awesome food experience. We started with a squid and bread appetizer. Youngest had thier fried pizza for his meal, oldest had the gluten free pizza (he wanted this quality everywhere we went in Europe), My wife had the Gnocchi and I had the fresh whole sea bass with potato's. We all had wine and i just can't say enough about the service, our waiter took great care of us, even de-boning my fish. If only this restaurant was not thousands of miles away...... if your close, go, don't hesitate, price was approx $100 american for the above food. WOW!

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I don’t write many reviews but this restaurant is exceptional! I am gluten free (not by choice) but this restaurant delivered on everything. It is conveniently located near the Vatican. The service was friendly and prompt. It has gluten free beer ( a wide selection may I add) pizza, pasta, fried lightly breaded calamari (I had to order a second)...among many other yummy gf selections and desserts. It also has non gluten free food if some of your group is not limited. It also has a full bar, clean facilities and reasonable prices. I am already planning a return visit!

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Food : Incredible! The tastiest food we had in the whole of Rome, thus we had to go back ti the place. Both of the times i had pizza. One Margherita and one Capricciosa + tiramisu! It came within 10 minutes and it was all fresh. The tiramisu was the best i have had in my whole life! It wasnt too sickly or too dry! My friend is gluten and lactose free and she had a number of different options to choose from and loved it!

Service: 10\10 , very fun ,young waiter who did his best to help us in English! Engaged with us the whole time and made us laugh! Also loved being greeted by all of the staff from the first step, including the chefs! Could definately feel the family -run restaurant atmosphere,but professional and warming at the same time.

Atmosphere &location : Perfectly easy yo access / central location. The restaurant was clean and very homely , enjoyed looking at all of the photographs and art on the walls.

Summary : i would fly bak to Rome especially to eat here

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

I cannot rave enough about this restaurant! I couldn’t wait to return to Rome solely to eat here again! Everything (gluten free or not) is outstanding ! The gluten free pizza and pasta is homemade and by far the best I’ve ever had! Not to mention the variety of gluten free desserts they have in house... amazing! WaShim, is an absolute sweetheart, and is so kind, and generous, as well as the whole staff. I can’t wait to return to Rome to eat here again, and again, and again!