“The restaurant looks good but far away from expectations!”
Review of il buco Sorrento

il buco Sorrento
Ranked #33 of 317 Restaurants in Sorrento
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Our host recommended us this restaurant, we were excited and happy. But nothing was perfect. We had a 8 courses from the degustation menu, big portion for every course, the flavours were not amazing, not balanced and always agrumes everywhere whom cover all the flavours. I hope they just messed up with us because we use to go in a lot of restaurant and gastronomic restaurants as a hobby and passion. We both work in restaurant and we don't like to be picky but opened. We love to spend our money in restaurant experience, but it was such a shame. The good point, they picked really good wine point for the matching wine and it was a regular service and nothing special.

Write a ReviewReviews (2 001)

55 - 59 of 2 001 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

My wife and I were staying in Sorrento in September 2017, and went out one evening with no particular plans, other than to wander the wonderful streets and alleys of Sorrento, now one of our favorite places on Earth! Well, the skies opened up, and it was pouring with rain, so we ducked in and out of canopies and shops, hoping to find someplace with a table inside, and out of the elements... They all had outdoor seating available during the downpour! :-) We settled on what we thought was going to be our dinner destination, and while waiting to be greeted and seated, we looked down the alley to the right, and saw the entrance to il buco, and it looked interesting enough to make the dash in the rain. We were welcomed, and when we said that we did not have reservations, we got the "I don't know... Let me see if we can get you in..." look. I was already thinking of the next plan, as my wife and I were soaked and hungry... To our surprise, the host came back and walked us upstairs to a lovely room, and got us started with our waiter, Ivan, who was quick with a smile and a drink. We were encouraged to try the tasting menu, and we decided to go with the local flow. I can always do things my way at home, but when we travel, I like to take direction from the people who we are trusting to serve us the way that they know best. We started out with a quiche from the chef and then ordered Buffalo mozzarella with pickled artichokes, onions and carrot slices appy and Beef carpaccio w/smoked provolone appy and they were both excellent! Next, I had fresh pasta cannelloni stuffed with ricotta and spinach in a cream and yellow tomato sauce with bits of thick bacon - again, delicious! My wife had a pasta dish tagliatelle with butter lemon cheese and garlic for a main course and I had the lamb done 3 ways - shoulder cooked in oven, burger cooked on flattop and filet cooked on grill, served with potato gratin and some mashed veggie that was all ridiculously good. I had a couple of coffees and we shared a lemon soufflé with raspberry sauce and cinnamon ice cream. Then, Ivan brought us a sampler of small bite sized desserts and Limoncello. All told, the bill was 164 euros, and we were so happy to have stumbled in to this gem, il buco Sorrento! We said our goodbyes, and started our walk back to the Hotel Continental, and no surprise to my wife, I stopped for a(nother) 3 scoop cone of gelato (gelato is everywhere!) on the way back to the hotel, and we brought this memorable evening to a close. Although unplanned, this was the surprise restaurant and the unplanned meal that we remember most fondly from our first trip to Sorrento!

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We had missed the hotel hotel transfer bus and so had our touring clothes on and it was a red hot day. i went expecting to have to rebook , however they were more than welcoming and just sat us down. Had the fish tasting menu it was excellent food and the staff were so knowledgeable and helpful. On the whole a great experience and they really do the subtle things very well. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Great place and they get it right. If like good restaurants or want to treat yourself ...just go.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Me and my partner visited Il Buco on the last night of our holiday to Sorrento (11th June) the food and service was exquisite. I booked us a table a couple of days before and requested to sit outside which they happily obliged to. If you want a cheap in and out meal this is not for you. If your looking for delicious food and an experience for a whole evening then look no further. Me and my partner both ate off the Land tasting menu and he had the wine pairing whereas I chose a bottle of wine myself. The service we received from our Waiter Michael was exquisite, he told us about what we were eating and told my partner about the wine, but more than just the grape he told us about the region it was from and little facts and anecdotes. The food was some of the best I have ever eaten and for the price the quality,taste and portions was second to none. Thank you for finishing off our holiday perfectly. We will be back and recommend here to our family and friends.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

We visited Il buco on our last night in Sorrento after having numerous culinary delights during our weeks stay, meaning the bar for Sorrento had been set very high. Well, il buco not only outshone what had come before but it delivered one of the best meals we have ever had, including several other michelin star restaurants. The combination of imaginative and superb cooking and fine wines coupled with superb service and the entire setting, is frequently attempted and promoted but rarely achieved. Il buco reached a level which adds to our reason to rapidly return to this amazing part of Italy.
We started with a large Gin and Tonic which we regretted on top of the wine flight which accompanied our meal... but we did manage to stagger back to our Hotel in one piece. Our waiter was superb and the entire team were slick, professional and theatrical - a pleasure to experience such service of the chef surprise me menu which was arranged to suit our tastes.

Our 5 course tasting menu and accompanying wine flight was a sensory experience and my wife's nut allergy superbly managed and dishes modified to make her feel well looked after, which hasn't been the case in some other fine dining establishments. Each dish was outstanding and one was left eagerly awaiting the next course. My dessert of a sicilian cassata was the best Ive ever had and put this dish on a new level to finish a beautifully created and interesting in many dimensions meal.

We left Il buco satisfied in every way and thinking about when we might return but also thinking about the walk back to the hotel after that large Gin and all those wines - Italian whites (have tended to drink Italian reds in the past) and have looked up buying some of them now we are back in the UK. An incredible meal in a country which serves up the worlds best food and sets a high bar.