All reviews rooftop pool restaurant eolo amalfi coast made to order eggs our honeymoon little touches wonderful hotel overlooking the beach perfect location deluxe room the hotel staff loved this hotel breakfast terrace sound of the waves private balcony every morning sun deck
Reviewed 24 July 2016

Arrived yesterday on day before my birthday, staff welcoming, simplest check in process, room is very much as expected, stunning view on the gulf, perfectly located near the downtown and the beach, I personally suggest some days spent in this hotel. By the way I was forgetting to mention the healthy breakfast and the smiling staff. Suggestion, forget the car over here, you don't need it, actually I arrived by train from North of Italy and reached location by "navetta taxi" from Napoli rail station.

Room tip: Definitely choice for balcony with a sea view
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 20Mark16
Reviewed 23 July 2016

Location is fantastic, amazing views, room was lovely and spotlessly clean. Pool & bar were great. Staff were very helpful. Am not giving it 5 stars as it is not a 5 star hotel in any way. No lounge area, tv was on in the dining area all day ( yes, it was the world cup, but not everyone including me is interested). Anywhere else it would be a 3*

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2016

After a rigorous ten days traveling around Rome, Tuscany, Florence, Cinque Terre and Barcelona, we had the final leg of four nights of our trip on the Amalfi Coast. We had to decide among Sorrento, Amalfi, and Positanto. Rick Steves seems to prefer Positano if given a choice for a night on the Amalfi Coast in his book, but we elected to do 3 nights in Sorrento and our last night at the Marina Riviera in Amalfi for my wife's birthday. Steves had described Amalfi as touristy and seemed to like the views of Positano in his book. Our family found Sorrento to be more touristy and overrun with crowds than Amalfi. Sorrento was convenient to take the train to Pompei and there were more clothing shops and leather stores in Sorrento, but our best meals were in Amalfi. While we did enjoy the views of Mt. Vesuvious and sunset in Sorrento, we were very glad we decided to stay at Marina Riviera in Amalfi and in fact, wish we had done 2 nights in Amalfi rather than 3 in Sorrento and 1 in Amalfi. One of the main reasons we decided to include a stay in Amalfi was that we wanted to see the amazing coastline drive from Sorrento to Amalfi and not be rushed. First, the drive was spectacular and reminded us of Big Sur in California, but more beautiful. Our driver Giuseppe (will review separately) of Sorrento Coast Drivers, was excellent and he stopped at several spectacular viewing spots, including the top of Positano. He agreed that we made the best choice to decide on Amalfi over Positano since to stay in Positano you are dealing with so many steps and if you stay lower near the beach, you don't see the views as you do from the top. The Marina Riviera hotel in Amalfi was stellar on many levels. First, talk about a breathtaking view. The views from the lobby, breakfast room, and infinity pool and bar make one feel like you are on a five star cruise ship,(which we ironically elected not to do this time) yet you are minutes away from the center of town and a beach! You do not have to climb hundreds of steps as you would in Positano. The staff were extremely responsive, friendly and helpful at the Marina Riviera. From the first contact by email six months ago, they were very patient in answering questions, suggesting restaurants for my wife's birthday, agreed to hold our luggage for us if we arrived early... the communication could not have been better or more professional. When we arrived, all staff were eager to help and make our stay enjoyable. There was a lovely chilled bottle of Prosecco in our room on arrival, perhaps for my wife's birthday, or it may be something they do for all arriving guests, not sure. Aside from the amazing views, the location is the best one could ask for. Although we are not beach people, the hotel is literally on a cliff overlooking the large Amalfi beach, which one can walk to in a couple of minutes. We preferred the wonderful lounge chairs and infinity pool at the hotel overlooking the Mediterranean sea. There was even a steam room by the pool. Also, in less than five minutes walk, you are in the center of town, where the buses and boats can take you where you want or you can explore the town and church which are extremely convenient. I had requested a room with a view and it was a huge French style window that overlooked the beach below and town, like a postcard, perhaps better. We had a triple room as we were traveling with our son. It was not the largest room of our trip but it was enough room to be comfortable. If I had to make one suggestion, the pull out sofa was not the most comfortable and was a little dated. There are much better options these days, especially for a hotel of this level. The Hotel Regina in Barcelona where we stayed a week earlier (a 4 star hotel) had a much better and newer style sofa bed that pulled out and popped up into more of a twin bed rather than older style pull out double sofa bed. Other than that minor issue, all was great. The room had a safe and small refrigerator. We enjoyed the people of Amalfi as well. The shop owners were very warm and had a smile, a smaller town feel to me than the more touristy Sorrento. It was also very convenient to be able to go up to Ravello to see the views and Cimbrone Villa. If I had to do it again, I might also have spent a night for a summer concert up in Ravello too. We originally planned to take a bus up to Ravello and hike down the trail through Atrani to Amalfi, but at the end of two weeks of sightseeing in 5 cities and 2 countries, not all of us were up to it, so we took the convenient bus up and back down to Amalfi. The breakfast at the hotel was excellent, including both hot and cold choices, and again, so nice to feel the sea breeze and view first thing in the morning. When we returned from a wonderful dinner at the nearby Da Gemma restaurant (we had wanted to eat at the hotel's excellent Eolo restaurant, but it was unfortunately closed on Tuesday), there were complimentary bottles of water and local lemon biscuit treats waiting in our room for us. Upon our departure, the front desk staff surprised us with a lovely parting birthday gift for my wife. What more can I say, the Marina Riviera hotel gets a 10 for location and the views, the pool and bar area up top gets a 10, but I would have to give at least a 10.5 to an 11 for service. While it was our most expensive hotel room of our trip, it was well worth it. Don't miss Amalfi on your visit to the Amalfi Coast. Toss out the Rick Steves book and choose Amalfi over Positano for at least a couple of nights stay, and make an early reservation at the Marina Riviera hotel as well as their Eolo restaurant. The people of Amalfi are warm and the Marina Riviera hotel in Amalfi will not disappoint.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
8  Thank travelfourless
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

Great view, the food was spectacular and the staff were very friendly. It's one of the few places we found were you could actually pull into. It was quiet and peaceful. I had spaghetti Bolognese and it was the best Bolognese I've ever had. I wish I could go back!

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank BeccaW258
Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

The hotel is good. Very well located near the centre of Amalfi and with very comfortable rooms. But there are two things that doesn't make them deserve a 5 star. Bathroom is rusty and not very comfortable. Taking shower is an adventure. Second, they offer a tour to Capri which is a robbery. We hire it and although the the weather didn't permit a safe sailing they took us anyway with a very heavy wind and rain. The purpose of the trip was the Grutta Azurra and nobody warned us it was closed. So we paid a very a expensive your for NOTHING. They bought us two hours earlier back, with no tour even though they knew on advance they couldn't make it! The hotel didn't helped us in anything making the complain even they got a commission for selling it.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple