“Don't Do SPAINTASTIC BARCELONA - BUNOL La Tomatina”

Spain Tastic! Tours
Ranked #123 of 156 Tours in Valencia
More attraction details
Owner description: A new brand of Tourism in Spain. Revolutionary and innovative. Experience Spain personally. You will be the star of your trip
Reviewed 21 April 2015

In brief, 2 stars because we got there and we got back....eventually...for both directions.

I would not recommend booking with Spaintastic. The tomato festival is AWESOME, you should definitely go...but don't do it through SPAINTASTIC!!! I thought paying extra (a whole lot at that) and going through a tour company would make getting there and back and cleaned and fed and bags protected, a whole lot easier......BUT IT DIDN'T. I emailed the company following our trip and they replied agreeing to give a partial refund of the 200 euros I paid for my husband and I. It is now 9 months down the line, I have followed up several times by email with no reply and no refund.

Their website looks cool and fun, but don't let it suck you in!

We (being my husband and I) arrived at the station ahead of time for a departure at 4:30am and were advised if we were late that the bus would leave without us. When we checked in, our tickets and identity items were not checked to make sure we were the correct recipients of the tour. The busses did not leave until over an hour after scheduled departure. As a result of a late departure we therefore arrived late to Bunol. All the other tour groups and companies had arrived and there was no longer any more bus parks so the busses had to park further away outside of Bunol and we were advised we would have to run into the town to get there in time. Once we had gotten out of the bus our tour guide had already disappeared. We eventually found him in the town but he was lost and did not know where to take everyone or where the Spaintastic Meeting point was. We eventually found it but then he didn't know where the cloakrooms were for our particular tour from Barcelona. By this time everyone was getting very frustrated and concerned they would miss the tomato throwing as it was going to start in 15mins and all the other cloakrooms for other tours had long lines. We tried asking one of the other cloakrooms if we could leave our bags there because time was running out and our Guide was not helpful, but they said we couldn't because we had to go to our allocated cloakroom. In the end our guide made us leave all our bags outside in an open field and he said he would watch them. This was very concerning for us as we had very little trust in him but our bags and belongings would not survive the tomato food fight as they were not waterproof so we had not other option. We then ran to the street just in time to make the start of the tomato food fight. After the tomato food fight we were meant to be given access to showers. Instead we were hosed down in public from giant hoses streaming high pressure water from trucks. Definitely not the 'shower' I was hoping for if we wanted to get somewhat cleaned we had to strip down to our underwear in front of lots of other people. There was no warning of this in the tour description and I felt uncomfortable but had to be clean otherwise would not be allowed back on the bus.

Within the description of the tour package, it was made to sound like paella and sangria was included from the Spaintastic party zone, however it was not and it cost an extra 12€ each. With the price of the tour being 100€ each I would definitely expect it to be included. After having to queue for showers for quite a long time, there was not even enough time for us to wait in long queues to get paella and sangria anyway as we were expected to be ready to board the bus at 1:40pm for a 2pm departure. Which leads me to another disappointment highlighting a lack of organisation. Everyone was given different information about where to meet for the return to Barcelona and then the busses weren't allowed to where we were meeting, and kept driving off. Our tour guide was very unprofessional, Swearing and cursing, getting very angry but not actually doing anything to help or ease the situation. He kept moving us about saying the bus was coming in a few minutes or that he could see it coming but then it didn't arrive. We waited for about 2 hours in the sweltering sun, unable to go anywhere or enjoy more of the festival in-case the bus came and left without us.

The only good and worthwhile part about this experience was the tomato food fighting, which was only 10€ of the whole 100€ paid for each person. The reason we bought this tour package was that we thought it would be an organised and stress less way to be part of La Tomatina. In the end the Spaintastic Tours ruined our day and our experience. If I had of known it would be such a disaster I would have just paid the 10€ per person for entrance and organised our own transport there. Basically, by the time we got back late to Barcelona, we were exhausted, not from having fun but from being mucked around.

Rant over.

7  Thank BambiSmiles

Reviewed 16 February 2015

LA TOMATINA - DO NOT BOOK WITH SPAINTASTIC !!

These people are just plain cruel.

I was very excited to attend in 2014, paid for a full day tour..…then sadly my father passed away.

Of course, I had to cancel my entire holiday in Spain.

Other Tour Operators & Airlines were so kind - every one of them fully refunded my booking.

However – the ONLY people not to do this was SPAINTASTIC TOURS

I wrote to them multiple times, sent the Death Certificate, Doctors’ letters etc

- But they would not show any care or understanding.

Instead they choose to repeatedly stand by the small print in the booking, being no refunds within 7 days of the Event.

I advised them 4 days before the Event

- I couldn’t control the date of my Father’s death.

It is just so sad that someone can be only focused on keeping 65 Euros

- V’s showing some human understanding.

However, I am pleased to say that all 9 other Spanish Tour Operators & Airlines were kind & understanding

- & fully refunded me.

Don’t book with them – they are just a business focussed on themselves

- Not for their clients, nor on humanity.

Travel safe 

Reviewed 2 February 2015

Getting on the bus in Valencia was a breeze. From there to the festival, good luck.... I got off the bus and had no idea where to go to get my wrist band to get into the event. The first Spaintastic agent I spoke with was drinking beer. She sent me on a wild goose chase to get my wrist band to be admitted to the event. After walking for a good mile plus, I ended up back where I started - no wrist band. I was poorly organized. Storing your stuff is a nightmare. Throngs and throngs of people lined up for lockers. Just be prepared to be patient.

2  Thank Patrick W
Reviewed 2 October 2014

Well, we had both positive and " not so positive" experience with Spaintastic. Lets start with the positive ones:

Postives:
1)We bought the tickets online and had provided our id proof as our UK driving license which is surprisingly not accepted by Tomatina organisation. Spaintastic people helped me to change the id proof details and out in our passport details in the last moment. They were very co-operative to get this changed very quickly for us.

2) We boarded the coach at Valencia to go to Bunol to attend La Tomatina. The coach was on time and took us to Bunol in a timely fashion.

"Not so positives":
1) Once we reached Bunol, a lady guided us to the "Spaintastic location" by holding a board of our type of tickets -Class B. Once we reached the counter we couldnt really find her again and we were left on our own to find out things. The counter she dropped us to,denied to exchange the print outs and give the tickets to us. We had to ask people to go to the right counter to collect our tomatina tickets,shower vouchers and lockers. The people with other ticket type "C" etc were guided in a much better way. After the tomatina, we were not guided to our buses also. We did find our bus but its disapointing that we paid the money for all these services but we were not guided in a proper way.

The shower was fun and the lockers were safe!!

Cheers,
Paromita

1  Thank Paromita R
Spaintastic, Customer Service at Spain Tastic! Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2014

Dear Paromita,

First off all thank you for your feedback and sorry for all the inconveniences.
We can explain you that there were some differences between packages B and C. The package B included the price of the ticket and transport, but didn't include a tour guide and the Exchange of the print at home for the bracelet. The City Council of Buñol was in charge of this exchange in its settled points, that's why you couldn't exchange your print at home in the spaintastic meeting point.

Anyway, sorry again for all the inconveniences. We try to improve ourselves every day, so feedback, positive and negative, is accepted.

Best regards.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 September 2014

First off, if you're thinking about La Tomatina, stop thinking and make sure you add it to your bucket list. What a great festival, in one of the greatest areas on Earth! Now when we looked at going this year, we researched the best overall way to make this work, and it worked out very well with a couple of things that we wanted to share to make your trip better -
First off, we reserved through Spaintastic Tours. I'd recommend this company, but I will share some caveats:
a) You need to bring a copy of your physical receipt with you. When the busses pick you up (they have busses that will get your from Valencia, Barcelona and other areas, round trip), you have to show your pass, and you also need it on the return.
b) Don't bother with their VIP packages. There is no VIP, you just get additional "things." In our case, we got food and sangria and a shirt. I thought we'd get first service for showers, lockers, food, etc, and that was NEVER the case. More about that later.
c) Get to the bus area on time. If you're in Valencia, where we were, you can't miss the busses as there are a ton of company's lined up. It was very easy to find our bus.
d) If possible, see if you can reserve a bus to return you as soon as possible after the festival - We had to sit around for FIVE hours waiting for a return bus. There's not a lot to do in Bunol once this finishes, and the Spaintastic party isn't well shaded, and most people are worn out and just waiting to leave. The wait was painful.
e) On the bus, they'll sell you goggles - DON'T buy them on the bus! There are a ton of vendors selling them for 3 Euros the second the bus stops, and on the bus they were 6 Euros. I do recommend goggles for the event, although if you can get the large single goggle from home, it's better that the "multi-eye" goggles they sell in Bunol.

The overall experience was awesome, I just think they could do things a little more efficiently especially for those that pay for VIP. There is no food or drink on either bus ride, so bring your own. They have lockers at the Spaintastic location, but there is a long line to drop off and to pick your stuff up. Bring stuff you can trash after the event. I brought an old pair of shoes and a "throw away" shirt. Swim shorts worked perfectly. I saw people in flip flops but wouldn't recommend them. Once the event is done, they have water trucks that spray you down with a fire hose. Again, there's a long line for this, but it's pretty efficient. Get food on your walk back to the Spaintastic location, because the free food line that you pre paid for can take up to an hour to wait in. No, I'm not exaggerating.

I gave Spaintastic 3 stars mainly because of the long waits, the fact that it was a little pricey for what they gave you, and the long wait for the bus ride home. What I don't want lost in this review was that our tour guide was great, the experience was fantastic, and we'd do it again!

2  Thank danjan111
Spaintastic, Customer Service at Spain Tastic! Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Good morning,

First of all, we want to apologize for what happened wrong, it's not easy to manage so many people in a small village like Buñol and so few hours available.

This amount of people, obviously caused queues at some moments. The queue for the shower was long only when we had to change the hose from one truck to another, otherwise it was 5-10 minutes long, and with over 2.000 people in the queue it's not much time.

The departure from Buñol was a bit chaotic due to some traffic problem between local police and buses, which got delayed. Unfortunately one of our guides couldn't diffuse the tension, making the situation even worse. And the hot weather didn't help.

The difference between Vip packages and non-vip packages ara mainly two:
- your guide exchanged your print at home for the official bracelet of la Tomatina in the bus, so you didn’t need to go to the exchange points in Buñol settled by the City Council of Buñol and queue there. The non-VIP customers needed to do that in Buñol.
- Your guide gave you the bracelets for the shower and the ticket for paella and sangría in the bus. The cost and the commodity to have the bracelet direct in the bus were not included in other non-VIP packages. They needed queue in the tickets point in Buñol and buy the tickets there if they wanted to get a shower. Again sorry for the long queue due to the need of changing the water truck.

Spaintastic regards.