“Beautiful chilled beach”

Platja de la Nova Icaria
Ranked #140 of 746 things to do in Barcelona
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited for the day on my 30th,it was a lovely way to relax!
We got there around 10am, and it was pretty dead at that point, though it did get much busier throughout the day.
You can rent out sunloungers and umbrellas for the day (€10 each, I don’t think it’s too bad), and you can also borrow towels if you don’t have one - €10 per towel, though you get €5 back per towel at the end of the day if you hand them back. For us it just meant we didn’t have to carry anything around Barcelona and we didn’t bring beach towels with us, so worked great. We had a good spot for the whole day.
Clearly popular with the locals, so that was nice.
There are *a lot* of peddlers on this beach, and they will come find you as soon as you get to the beach (before you even sit down!) though tell them no and they’ll go. They’ll reappear throughout the day, annoying but harmless really.
Of course, keep an eye on your belongings.
We were sat in front of one of the bars, and there are guys from the bars who will come and ask if you want anything, so we really didn’t need to move! We ordered water throughout the day, and also a toastie at lunch. It was nice! They were really friendly.
This beach was definitely one of my favourite parts of the trip.
Tip - take your own loo roll / tissues if you visit the loo, as it’s definitely not always there! These aren’t the cleanest I’ve come across, but it is a public beach, I’ve seen worse.

All reviews
"tourists"
in 3 reviews
"metro"

Reviewed 24 August 2018

I was heading to Barceloneta beach one day recently when I came across reviews for this beach, which said it was less busy, less touristy and not as many people trying to sell you stuff and right they were! I haven't been to any other beach in Barcelona so can't compare but the day I spent there was very enjoyable. I hired an umbrella from the guys nearby and settled down for a day of doing nothing. we got there about 10am and it was somewhat quiet. Filled up a bit around 1/2pm but still not to the point where you felt people were on top of each other. We ate at the nearby La Carmelina and the paella was absolutely lovely. A bit pricey I thought but then that's to be expected when you're dining on the beach. The cocktails at Mokai Beach bar are lovely and I kept going back for more. I noticed they provided table service however this wasn't offered to me for some reason but I just got up and went up to the bar. got to know the staff a little. There are people selling blankets, clothes, sangria and mojitos (be careful as they seemed a bit random and you have no idea where the drinks have come from) and massages. They aren't pushy but they will ask everytime they do their rounds. I stuck my nose in my book and left me alone generally. Toilets - lady expects a tip for handing you the toilet paper. Was very impressed with the services they offer for disabled people. Britain could learn a lot from them. I look forward to returning!

1  Thank roselisha2006
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

We visited the Platja de la Nova Icaria beach the day after we went to Barceloneta. We preferred this beach over the first as there were less people (still busy though) and the water seemed cleaner and clearer.
It’s a little further from the mariner but we found the walk worth it.

There were two cafes on the beach which we didn’t visit as we weren’t hungry at the time, but they both looked quite nice.

2  Thank PSoerjanto
Reviewed 6 August 2018

We had heard mixed reviews about taking in the beach scene while in Barcelona, but with two teenage sons and an otherwise full schedule we decided to make it work. My research suggested within the city limits that Nova Icaria was the beach of choice for locals and families and our two visits during our vacation didn't disappoint.

We arrived on the early side, which is definitely advisable, by 11am both times. We easily were able to rent lounge chairs and umbrellas (2 chairs and umbrella 30 euro, but hey, you are on vacation) We were able to order food and drinks from an on the beach bar/restaurant as well. The prices were fairly reasonable. There are some vendors who wander around the beach selling wraps, massage and water, but nothing you can't politely wave off. We didn't feel intimidated or pressured in any way, but we can really say that about Barcelona as a whole.

We travel often, but we did love this beach and the experience. The water was comfortable, easily swim friendly, and quite clean overall. We are so happy to have chosen it over Barceloneta, although our next visits we'll hope to make it out to one of the other coastal towns which by all accounts are amazing too.