“Great service, tasty food”
Review of Bambarol

Bambarol
Ranked #205 of 11 115 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We called the place last minute and managed to get a reservation at the bar - this restaurant is very popular and is usually booked out. The service was really good - the waiter explained every item on the menu and made recommendations. My boyfriend is allergic to nuts and the chef came out personally to explain to us which dishes have what ingredients - very personal treatment of customers. All the dishes were very tasty and fresh. Scallops were amazing, so were the clams with mushrooms. Understandable why they are so popular

Reviewed 2 June 2018

The sort of food that you just want to savour every mouthful, great quality ingredients that are cooked beautifully. The service is excellent and prices reasonable. There isn't a great deal more to say apart from if you're looking for some of the best Tapas in town then go! But you might want to give them a ring to book first ;)

Reviewed 20 May 2018

Solo dinner on a Saturday in early May 2018.

A week before my visit, I contacted Bambarol via their website to make a booking. I exchanged a couple of emails with Jonatan to discuss options, and found him to be friendly & responsive - so it was off to a good start. I was glad I had booked, because the restaurant was almost full when I arrived a little before 10pm. I received a warm welcome from Jonatan and the other staff members & immediately knew it was going to be a great evening.

Situated in the residential Sant Gervasi neighbourhood, Bambarol (a regional name for the poppy flower) has a nondescript entrance - I actually walked past it, and double-backed. The restaurant has a few tables and bar seating at the front of the house, and more tables in a big room at the back. Exposed brick walls and distressed wood tables give the restaurant a warm, casual feel.

I wanted to try one of the classics, the scallops with pork jowls and asparagus (€13), but they had run out of it that evening. Jonatan suggested I try one of the other classics, the “Ensaladilla rusa” (potato salad) and bonito tuna (€4). I was surprised that Russian salad is considered Catalan food, but apparently it is... I also ordered the soased (sic, I think they meant “sauced”) bonito tuna (€9), and the scrambled sausage (€9.80, one of the daily specials).

I was tempted to try atleast 2 more dishes, and asked Jonatan for his view. He wisely suggested I eat the 3 dishes I’d ordered, and could order more if I was still hungry after that.

The Russian salad arrived first. It was different from ones I’ve had elsewhere because the potatoes were crumbled (not mashed), and not chunky pieces. The potatoes perfectly balanced the tuna with chives & pieces of crunchy bread (the presentation was eye-catching). I was very happy with the Russian salad, and surprised by how tasty it was.

The tuna arrived next - thin slices of tuna lightly seared on one side, with sesame, herbs, diced tomatoes, and Japanese sauce. From the very first bite, the taste of the tuna just blew my mind. It had a kick to it that I absolutely loved. I didn’t know what to expect, and it was certainly not what I expected, but it tasted great!!

The final dish to arrive was the classic Catalan sausage with white beans. Except that this one has been taken to a whole new level by adding grilled artichokes (and spring onions, I think). It was truly exceptional!!

Boy, was I glad that Jonatan had stopped me from ordering more food, because I was full at this point. Thus, when he asked whether I wanted to see the dessert menu, I thought I couldn’t possibly eat another morsel. However, in the name of research, and because Bambarol make their desserts in-house, I ordered the cheesecake he recommended (and that assured me was very light).

The cheesecake was amazing - fluffy and mousse-like, with a great creamy consistency and texture, and, as promised, surprisingly light.

At Bambarol, chefs Ferran Maicas Cirera and Albert Ferrer Firpo - who between them have worked in a galaxy of Michelin-starred restaurants, including Saüc, El Celler de Can Roca, El Bulli, Moo, La Cuina de Can Pipes, and Chiberta – offer seasonal Mediterranean food influenced by other cuisines, in a relaxed atmosphere, with friendly service.

The food is simple, unpretentious and really, really tasty!

A couple of random observations / points:
• The staff was friendly, and really engaged with every diner & treated everyone like a VIP
• Each staff member was wearing a different customised “Bambarol” t-shirt. These are available to buy at the restaurant
• Chef Ferran Maicas came out of the kitchen a few times to chat with diners, which I thought was a great touch. I complimented him on the food, and he said that Jonatan had mentioned I enjoyed it (word had obviously spread of the gusto with which said food had been devoured!!)
• Truly random observation - the toilets were super clean, and money has clearly been spent on them

The bill came to €28.90 after taxes, which I thought was exceptional value for the meal I had. I added a tip & paid with a card.

For the amazing food & the friendly service, Bambarol goes on my MUST-VISIT in Barcelona list.

36  Thank SidMehlwal
Reviewed 20 May 2018

This is the best food and best service I have experienced in my life. It is a highly rated food place and it was the first dinner place we tried when we arrived in Barcelona. The food and the service was so good it brought a tear to my eye. Our server was the person I corresponded with when I made the reservation from over 6000 mile away and he remembered us. The whole night was as perfect as it could be. We had only a couple hours sleep on our long flight and still went out on our first night in BCN. We had a chance to meet one of the owners and chef. I told him his food brought a tear to my eye. What a great memory. It is a must go place.

1  Thank joseblanco53
Reviewed 10 May 2018

First of all, the good and close service of the waiters is appreciated and, moreover, it is in a neighborhood like Sant Gervasi, lacking original offers. They asked for five dishes, a dessert and a green that was very good. The most skinny potatoes and croquettes. Very good tartar, the spaghetti sausage is very good even though the quantities on the plate should be a bit more generous; The same goes for cod with chickpeas.