“Day with Nic on Spanish Civil War”

Spanish Civil War Tour
Ranked #3 of 611 Tours in Barcelona
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent the day with Nic understanding the details of the Spanish Civil War. This is not a typical visitors tour but a very in depth discussion of many concepts surrounding the Civil War. Nic did a good job of going over a ton of information and details. We were a larger group (about 12) than usual so there were times that it was difficult to hear him. There were a lot of historical memorabilia which added to tour as well . One suggestion would be to add a small write up or sticker to the back of all the photos that were passed around as it became confusing what photo was of whom once they started circulating among the group. His personal stories of tragedy and the people involved made for a very engaging afternoon. i would recommend this tour to those interested in history.

1  Thank Lynn R
Write a ReviewReviews (1 330)
All reviews
"nick lloyd"
in 121 reviews
"george orwell"
in 45 reviews
"world history"
in 28 reviews
"orwell's homage to catalonia"
"history buff"
"ask questions"
in 25 reviews

11 - 15 of 1 330 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I can't recommend this highly enough. The tour is very well designed and Nick is an excellent storyteller as well as a knowledgeable historian. He mixed big-picture geo-politics with the moving stories of individual people. Nick passed around photos, posters and newspaper cuttings from the time, quoted Orwell and played revolutionary songs. It all really brought the period to life. I have been to Barcelona a few times but this helped me see the place in a new light. 30 euros seems very good value for the experience we received over this 5-hour tour. I left with a tear in my eye, a lump in my throat and a desire to find out much more about the period. Thank you Nick.

1  Thank Cathwheels
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We loved our Spanish war tour of Barcelona, which took us to several neighborhoods around the heart of Barcelona. Our guide, Catherine Brownley, is originally Irish, has been living in Barcelona for a long time, and it has become her passion, particularly centering on stories about the International Brigade. She never wanted to stop sharing her knowledge about the events in Barcelona, and how many people in Spain are still trying to forget that it happened. Many in our group of about 12 had not had much prior knowledge and still seemed to enjoy it. My wife and I have each read books about this period which has added to our fascination and enjoyment of the tour. (The best books we have read is Adam Hochschild's Spain is in my Heart, the quickest read is George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia, and the most current is Giles Tremblett's Ghosts of Spain. from 2006). What made This tour so good were the many pictures and artifacts, and the emotion with which our guide described the events.

Inspired by this tour, we also took the Spanish Civil War tour in Madrid with our guide Almudena Cros (google her) who was also spectacular and equally passionate about the war and brings it alive with personal stories and detailed pictures.

1  Thank EllisRP
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had the pleasure of joining this walking tour - the Spanish Civil War Tour - while vacationing in Barcelona today (Easter weekend April 2018).

Perhaps not what you’d think to do while on holidays in this beautiful city, this tour proved to be an important, well curated and thought provoking ‘history experience’ covering all major events leading up to and during the Spanish civil war via the lens of Barcelona (includes George Orwell).

Expertly hosted by Catherine, a thoroughly delightful Irish cum-Catalan local, she unpacks this extremely complex period of history expertly and articulately. She talks and walks the group though the issues of the day, including the rise of the fascists Franco regime (Afrikanistas), the elected Catalan government’s response, the multiple left parties including the Anarchists and the Revolution, ending with the collapse of the Spanish Republic as WW2 engulfs Europe.

I came to this topic and tour uninformed as to Spanish civil war history. After 5 hours, I feel more informed and inspired to continue my exploration of this period of world history.

This is an important tour for all to take.

Philip.

1  Thank Philip B
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I came to this subject having a vague interest, based on Clash and Manics song lyrics and stories of the International Brigades. After nearly six hours (which flashed by in a second), I can say I had an real understanding of the subject.

Catherine was a superb tour leader. Incredibly knowledgeable, welcoming and passionate about the war and its impact. She made you feel as if you were part of the fighting on the Playa de Catalunya, and were with Orwell perched on the top of a building on La Ramblas, waiting to snipe. The story she told about Francesc Boix (which I didn't know) was extremely moving, and you could tell that, even if she may have told the story several times before, she was still moved herself.

I can't recommend this tour highly enough. If you have the slightest interest in politics or history and are in Barcelona, you simply must do this!

1  Thank SteveHucker