All reviewstram stopself cateringpublic transportkitchen arealiving roomel pratlarge supermarketswimming poolrooms are bigresidential areafamily roomcentral barcelonastayed here for nightslas ramblasmercadonaairporteuros
Reviewed 21 December 2015 via mobile

I stayed for three days in the apartment and in the process I fell in love with that place. Having booked the same at pretty low price I never expected the comfort and satisfaction which I got. Every thing was in place right from public transport ( bus L77) from airport to the hotel, proximity to a super market to meet your requirement of water, milk and fruits etc at unimaginable lower prices, facility of tram at walking distance to connect you to the vast metro network of Barcelona, spacious apartment with kitchenette and the wonderful staff at front desk ( Ms. Maria) speaking fluent English to guide you for the sight seeing places and the means to reach thereat.Hassle free check in and check out was bonus. In one sentence it was wonderful city with exceptionally good people and great comfortable stay.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank surendra_chelawat
Reviewed 2 December 2015

Having arrived at 11 am and check in normally 3 pm so I was pleasantly surprised when the room was ready and clean . PICK up the L77 bus outside terminal 2B it stops outside the hotel as its the last stop u can get a T10 ticket or just pay a single journey for 2.15 euros cheaper than 30 euros taxi equally comfortable as not many people use the bus and its only 15 mins slower than a taxi which is nothing when on holiday. Price of room when you compare it with a capital city which Barcelona is you wont anything of that standard as good for the money . evening meal was good with great hosting by manuel

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kingofcuba
Reviewed 4 November 2015

This hotel has all of the traits of a 4* hotel starting with the suite type rooms and finishing with a (working!) safe, minibar and even laundry service. As I come from a 5* environment myself by occupation, I am fairly familiar what to expect from different types of hotels, but this actually beat my expectation. Do not be put off by the star rating that is posted here, as you will make false assumptions - the place is great.

Now, on to the good bits:
1) IT HAS AN OUTDOOR SWIMMING POOL. Even though it is set in the backyard and surrounded by high-rise buildings and the area around is fairly muddy, it is nothing that a pair of slippers cannot fix. I would not expect something like this from a budget 3* hotel.
2) People complaining here of the kitchenette and no utensils - please call the reception. After reading one of the many comments on here, I called the reception and they provided us with a box full of kitchen equipment enough for 2 people. A kettle would be nice to boil some water, but then again, nothing a pot cannot fix. Even dish-washing liquid was provided with some sponges and scourers. There is a fridge in the room (not a cooler, like most places with a minibar would have) with a freezer section. It has to be turned on properly though, as it was set on minimum when we arrived (for obvious economic reasons, I assume).
3) The staff are very friendly and helpful (albeit, I found it odd that a 15eur deposit for an umbrella was to be paid cash only and could not be charged to my room and/or withheld from my card as I do not carry local currencies in my wallet nowadays), they provided us with some maps and great explanations on navigating the public transportation system as well as suggested where to purchase food that we can cook in the room. There is a general store just nearby (Mercadona) and you cannot beat the Spanish (pardon, Catalan) food prices there. If you're in for a budget trip, that's the way to go.
4) The TV has a fair few English channels, even though they are business/politically centered (Bloomberg, BBC, Russia Today) and a few German channels on top of the Spanish menu. If you are really picky, then coupling this to the internet issues, described below, could cause some dissatisfaction.

Bad bits:
1) The internet connectivity was something that caused much frustration (I find it hard to describe and believe that something of that quality can be called high speedy(sic) internet) and something that I would suggest the management of the hotel to look in to. It not only disconnected constantly, but the speed was just ridiculous, could not even read news from an app on my phone. This ended up costing me a bit on top for roaming charges as this was our first time in Barcelona and in this digital day and age, most of the information comes from the internet. You can forget video streaming for obvious reasons. In my opinion, this is a real let-down.
2) Even though I appreciate that it would be a capital investment, but in our room there was no TV in the bedroom. There was one in the living room in front of the couch, which I fairly quickly figured out how to dissemble in to a bed. Me and my partner decided to set our camp in the living room and as a result we never even set foot in the bedroom. Yet again, this is a budget hotel and at that price and general (good) setting, not a biggie anyway.
3) Since I am a fairly bad sleeper in unfamiliar surroundings, the noise of the A/C unit was bothering me as the room was fairly warm. Since our room was on the side of the street, opening a window was not really an option as the road is fairly busy and there is traffic all night round on that small road, which you could not tell from approaching the hotel. Coupled with the noisy A/C I resorted to opening the window in the other room and leaving the door half closed to dampen the noise. A word for the wise - ask for a room overlooking the courtyard as those have balconies as well.

All in all, a great base for exploring Barcelona and I suggest to open the guest services directory to explore your options within these premises to avoid unnecessary disappointment.

P.S. I learned it the hard way - the bus stop from/to Barcelona El Prat is actually 10 meters (not 10 minutes, d'oh) from the entrance to the hotel. I am not sure as to what the exact name of the bus stop is, but if you are technically apt, just follow the gps on your phone (do not be afraid of roaming charges, as you will need internet in the hotel anyway) and exit when you can see the destination literally in front of you.
P.P.S. 5 days worth of travel cost me only 10eur as I purchased the T10 ticket. Hopping on and off modes of transport does not count as an additional ride as long it is within an hour from the initial touch-in, so taking the tram and changing to the Metro to get in to central Barcelona counts only as one ride.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Juris D
lucia a, Gerente at Hesperia Sant Joan, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2015

Dear Customer:

Thank you very much for having moved his opinions, which help us to improve every day. We will tell us how much the issue of wifi are in touch with our IT department for improvements that can be made.
Again thank you very much and hope to return soon stay in our hotel.

The Manager,

Reviewed 30 October 2015

Can't beat the price!
Quiet, separate bedroom, spacious, big window.
But a kitchen without even a single utensil...
A little past it's prime.
But made for a good pied-à-terre for exploring Barcelona via Metro.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KQC_Mtl
Reviewed 29 October 2015

We stayed here for two nights before a catching a cruise out of Barcelona and again the night the ship returned. This is the best hotel bargain we have had in years. I was a little nervous about travelling to and from the ship and they made the experience easy and pleasurable. The reception staff spoke perfect English and was very helpful telling us how to use the tram/metro system and some tips for dealing with cabs. They had already answered my before-trip email about transportation from the airport. The rooms were large and comfortable. The first room had a bedroom and an additional twin bed in the sitting room area. When I booked on priceline I did not choose to include breakfast, thinking we could use the kitchenette. We ended up purchasing the full breakfast one day at less than I could have with the reservation. The second morning we chose to just have beverages and pastries. We appreciated the flexibility. We ate dinner at the restaurant the night we arrived- a very nice dinner salad and a very hearty sandwich. When we returned from the cruise we showed up about 8am. Reception checked our luggage and gave us some ideas how to enjoy our day locally without going into Barcelona. We were able to check in a bit earlier than the posted 3pm. We were surprised to find that we were the Customer of the Day. They gave us several treats and discounts which made us feel very pampered. Such a unexpected, great way to end our vacation! The room that night was a two bedroom with sitting room and balcony. After being in a small ship stateroom we were thrilled to be in such a spacious area. It was very pleasant to relax with the windows open and listening to the birds. We ate dinner there and were pleasantly surprised how good the food was. The starter included large, tastefully prepared shrimp and the entrees of fish and pork were cooked perfectly. The only negative is that we probably will not be back to Spain for a long time and so won't be staying again soon.

Stayed: October 2015