“Maybe I was expecting too much”
Review of Bar Marucho

Bar Marucho
Ranked #16 of 736 Restaurants in Santander
Price range: US$23 - US$74
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

A small, but very popular place serving fresh and well-prepared seafood. This is a rustic, old-fashioned fish-on-a-plate tavern, so don’t expect anything too fancy.

I had the tomato salad, albondigas of monkfish and grilled langostinos. The langostinos were tasty, but the albondigas were bland (yes, even the sauce was a bit boring). The tomato salad was nothing special, and I don’t understand why it’s a recommendation in the menu. The bread was excellent.

The prices for the seafood are ok, but overall I paid more for this rather average meal than what I’ve done on some of the finer, high-rated restaurants in Santander.

The atmosphere is great with an informal vibe and smiling staff.

And despite my personal experience, if you want to eat fresh fish and seafood served in a simple and straight-forward way among the locals, there is a very good chance you’ll love this place.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 567)

9 - 13 of 1 567 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Don't like the food and service. No taste in fish plate which I ordered. Green Salad was with tuna but it wasn't said in the menu so my boyfriend ordered it as he doesn't like fish and couldn't eat it then..

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Revisited this year on our overnighter in Santander. Last year we ate on Saturday night and it was heaving and had a great vibe, this year midweek was just not the same, mainly locals and less than half full.

I had the menu and chose the fish soup which was pretty bland followed by squid in its ink which was really good (although black lips aren't a great look) and a glass of white wine, all for 18 euros, can't really complain. My wife had fried squid rings which were impeccable followed by monkfish in a green sauce, which she said was only ok.

Local people had some really interesting looking sharing dishes, and perhaps if we go back, we'll try this route, after all it is a bar not a full blown restaurant.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

This is a lovely, homely local seafood restaurant that offers a good selection of very fresh fish, crabs, clams, sea snails, mussels, oysters, prawns etc.etc.
The food is cooked well, the service is very friendly. The value is very good. I would highly recommend it to all sea food lovers.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

It doesn’t look much from the outside, but inside is a unique, interestingly decorated (in photo frames and Spanish flags) seafood restaurant with very friendly staff.

The staff didn’t speak English but were very pleasant nonetheless and offered us menus in English.

Immediately, we were given huge chunks of crusty bread with cubes of local cheese, oil and balsamic. We opted for the hake with prawns and clams and it was absolutely delicious (and huge); served in a long dish and marinated in what seemed to be a light buttery/parsley/lemon sauce.

I’d hugely recommend visiting here for fresh seafood and excellent service.

1  Thank _-rachella-_1