“Family trip ”

Teide Cable Car
Ranked #110 of 373 things to do in Tenerife
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Best possible way to discover the spectacular views of mount Teide and climb up to the highest peak in Spain.
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

This was a great experience we all thoroughly enjoyed this ride up El Tiede.
It takes about 8 mins up and there's a little swing as we passed the stations.
Which gave a nice thrill.

Pepe R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Teide Cable Car, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello, thank you for your comments and suggestions, we are glad that you enjoyed the activity. Best Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (3 822)
All reviews
"cars"
in 106 reviews

12 - 16 of 3 822 reviews

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

You will no doubt be looking at what you can do whilst in Tenerife and this is number one for good reason, but plan your trip and be aware of the practical side and it’s great.
Firstly you have to book ahead via the website it’s too busy to drive all that way on the off chance. Secondly it’s a long drive from either the north or the south, very beautiful but if you prone to car sickness plan some stops, the roads are good but not wide and very twisty as you rise upto 2200m. The third thing is the altitude 2200m is the bottom of the cable car and the air is thin so give yourself time to adjust, the cafe is good and there are toilets too.
Parking is limited so be prepared to drive about looking for one.
There is a queue regardless of online tickets are not and it can be hot, the ride on the cable car itself is short but at the top you are 3500m up. You’re likely to notice this!
Having said all that the views are spectacular you will be taking loads of photos! My children range from 7-13 they thought it was great, my in laws who are in the 70s stayed up for 15” before heading back down but enjoyed it.
All in all it’s a bit of an effort to plan but the reward is worthwhile!

2  Thank Mark H

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

Be prepared for a long wait and then your loaded into a crowded carriage for a 6 minute journey and then you have to repeat the queuing again to get down. The view is ok but I don’t think it’s anything special. The National Park itself is amazing though.

Reviewed 25 August 2018

Having spent 73 euros on bus tickets for 5 people (3 hour round journey) and £108 on Teide tickets I was bitterly disappointed to find out this Wednesday 22nd August that having waited in a queue for 1 hour over the allotted time that my tickets booked for 11:30 were not honored by Teide staff who instead issued us 16:30 tickets. Was this a problem? obviously as our return bus left 50 minutes before the ticket time!
The outcome was that we had spent lots of money and time for NO trip that we had expected. We have 3 children and they were inconsolable.
The Mount Teide staff were rude and did not listen to our explanation that we had in fact booked 11:30 tickets and we could not travel at 16:30 as our bus left at 15:40. The staff made us feel like we were telling lies and trying it on. Terrible, terrible customer service, being ushered away from the queue "you go now and come back at 16:30" despite our explanations.
The cause of the error were our English booking company whom I will not name as it seemed an honest mistake by them and refunded us straight away although not sure of the 73 euro bus ticket though. Our Ticket company were totally apologetic and tried to book us again that day but failed due to lack of tickets. They, unlike Teide staff, provided proper customer service.
To The Mount Teide customer service staff I would say I am totally disgusted by your attitude, lack of empathy and lack of customer service skills and I hope you look into this situation. There was no reason why you couldn't have taken us aside, talked nicely and tried to help explain this to 3 upset children.
Other comments to make, the visitor shop we were "forced" to visit given the 3.5 hours of wait to travel back- the shop was astoundingly rubbish. Why would a visitor to mount teide want to buy a generic Tenerife snow globe that seemed to be defectively cloudy??? Surely Teide visitors want Teide souvenirs of which I found none of in the teide shop! This suggested to me that the shop was not interested in providing memories of a national heritage site but rather gigantic money grabbing exercise without acceptable customer service. Interestingly in Costa Adeje, my son could buy a mount Teide snow globe in a souvenir shop there.
The waiting room was woefully too small to accommodate a large backlog of visitors whose cable car traveled an hour too late without explanations.
I can say that at cable car hut level the scenery was beautiful.
To recap, exceptionally rude, un-empathetic staff, money grabbing souvenir shop without Mount teide souvenirs to be seen and a woefully small waiting area but beautiful surrounding area.
Surely at the large income this attraction produces at millions of visitors a year, nearly 3 million in 2011? money could be spent on a decent cable car system that runs on time with decently trained polite staff?
Advice, if we ever went again (unlikely) I would buy tickets from the hotel, at least that way you would have a guide with you that could locally troubleshoot any problems.

3  Thank Keith L
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

First things first. It’s probably worth saying check your ticket. When you book the cable car online you book for a morning or afternoon slot, at this point however it is not especially clear that you are also assigned a specific time slot. Not a problem if you planning to arrive early but this might catch you out if you under estimate the journey (winding roads) or perhaps didn’t realise there was a fixed ride time.

I was somewhat disappointed with the organisation at the lower cable car station. To be frank, it was chaos. There was simply no system or information available as to where to go or what to do. Queues did not seem to exist and there were no obvious person to ask for assistance. This led to hundreds of people in apparent confused limbo. The worst part was that when I asked for clarification from an official I was told, and I quote, “I am too busy to help you”. So much for the polite enquiry. We were further forced into a queue without even being asked our time slot. Unimpressed with this I forced the issue with the official to discover we were indeed in the wrong queue.

The views are spectacular, but they really need to think harder about how to deal with the quantity of people, they are clearly unprepared.