“Queues!!!”

Teide Cable Car
Ranked #109 of 378 things to do in Tenerife
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Best possible way to discover the spectacular views of mount Teide and climb up to the highest peak in Spain.
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

Be prepared for a long wait and then your loaded into a crowded carriage for a 6 minute journey and then you have to repeat the queuing again to get down. The view is ok but I don’t think it’s anything special. The National Park itself is amazing though.

Write a ReviewReviews (3 844)
All reviews
"cars"
in 107 reviews

26 - 30 of 3 844 reviews

Reviewed 25 August 2018

Having spent 73 euros on bus tickets for 5 people (3 hour round journey) and £108 on Teide tickets I was bitterly disappointed to find out this Wednesday 22nd August that having waited in a queue for 1 hour over the allotted time that my tickets booked for 11:30 were not honored by Teide staff who instead issued us 16:30 tickets. Was this a problem? obviously as our return bus left 50 minutes before the ticket time!
The outcome was that we had spent lots of money and time for NO trip that we had expected. We have 3 children and they were inconsolable.
The Mount Teide staff were rude and did not listen to our explanation that we had in fact booked 11:30 tickets and we could not travel at 16:30 as our bus left at 15:40. The staff made us feel like we were telling lies and trying it on. Terrible, terrible customer service, being ushered away from the queue "you go now and come back at 16:30" despite our explanations.
The cause of the error were our English booking company whom I will not name as it seemed an honest mistake by them and refunded us straight away although not sure of the 73 euro bus ticket though. Our Ticket company were totally apologetic and tried to book us again that day but failed due to lack of tickets. They, unlike Teide staff, provided proper customer service.
To The Mount Teide customer service staff I would say I am totally disgusted by your attitude, lack of empathy and lack of customer service skills and I hope you look into this situation. There was no reason why you couldn't have taken us aside, talked nicely and tried to help explain this to 3 upset children.
Other comments to make, the visitor shop we were "forced" to visit given the 3.5 hours of wait to travel back- the shop was astoundingly rubbish. Why would a visitor to mount teide want to buy a generic Tenerife snow globe that seemed to be defectively cloudy??? Surely Teide visitors want Teide souvenirs of which I found none of in the teide shop! This suggested to me that the shop was not interested in providing memories of a national heritage site but rather gigantic money grabbing exercise without acceptable customer service. Interestingly in Costa Adeje, my son could buy a mount Teide snow globe in a souvenir shop there.
The waiting room was woefully too small to accommodate a large backlog of visitors whose cable car traveled an hour too late without explanations.
I can say that at cable car hut level the scenery was beautiful.
To recap, exceptionally rude, un-empathetic staff, money grabbing souvenir shop without Mount teide souvenirs to be seen and a woefully small waiting area but beautiful surrounding area.
Surely at the large income this attraction produces at millions of visitors a year, nearly 3 million in 2011? money could be spent on a decent cable car system that runs on time with decently trained polite staff?
Advice, if we ever went again (unlikely) I would buy tickets from the hotel, at least that way you would have a guide with you that could locally troubleshoot any problems.

4  Thank Keith L
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

First things first. It’s probably worth saying check your ticket. When you book the cable car online you book for a morning or afternoon slot, at this point however it is not especially clear that you are also assigned a specific time slot. Not a problem if you planning to arrive early but this might catch you out if you under estimate the journey (winding roads) or perhaps didn’t realise there was a fixed ride time.

I was somewhat disappointed with the organisation at the lower cable car station. To be frank, it was chaos. There was simply no system or information available as to where to go or what to do. Queues did not seem to exist and there were no obvious person to ask for assistance. This led to hundreds of people in apparent confused limbo. The worst part was that when I asked for clarification from an official I was told, and I quote, “I am too busy to help you”. So much for the polite enquiry. We were further forced into a queue without even being asked our time slot. Unimpressed with this I forced the issue with the official to discover we were indeed in the wrong queue.

The views are spectacular, but they really need to think harder about how to deal with the quantity of people, they are clearly unprepared.

Reviewed 18 August 2018

Let's be honest, you're not going to walk are you? We wanted to go to the top but we didn't want to take the long walk to get there... So this was a natural choice. The view at the top is astonishing, and very much worth it. If you can't make the journey, or you don't want to walk, this works just fine.
Take care if you're claustrophobic though!

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

We're weren't going to come all this way without going up on the cable car. A little disappointed not to get to the very top but you need time and free special permission before you go. I would have done it if I'd have known. Still it was a fantastic experience and ouĺ would definitely recommend you go wherever you're staying on Tenerife. A camera or phone is essential, wow what view, bove the clouds. I'd never been so high before and even a tiny walk around at the cable car top you can notice the thin air I was almost out of breath. You obviously have to pay to go up and back again. Some only go one way so don't loose your ticket or you will have to pay again! Don't be put off as its fantastic. It was very very busy in August and long queues up and down, not great if your bus driver only gives you 75mins. There's a loo and s vending machine at the top so you can get a drink. Theres not a lot up there really but it's the view that's everything. Our weather was very good and we didn't need the jumpet6we were told to take.

1  Thank allanb747