“Spectacular views but shocking organisation. ”
Review of Teide Cable Car

Mt Teide Crater Hike with Cable Car Ride
Ranked #110 of 379 things to do in Tenerife
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Best possible way to discover the spectacular views of mount Teide and climb up to the highest peak in Spain.
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

First things first. It’s probably worth saying check your ticket. When you book the cable car online you book for a morning or afternoon slot, at this point however it is not especially clear that you are also assigned a specific time slot. Not a problem if you planning to arrive early but this might catch you out if you under estimate the journey (winding roads) or perhaps didn’t realise there was a fixed ride time.

I was somewhat disappointed with the organisation at the lower cable car station. To be frank, it was chaos. There was simply no system or information available as to where to go or what to do. Queues did not seem to exist and there were no obvious person to ask for assistance. This led to hundreds of people in apparent confused limbo. The worst part was that when I asked for clarification from an official I was told, and I quote, “I am too busy to help you”. So much for the polite enquiry. We were further forced into a queue without even being asked our time slot. Unimpressed with this I forced the issue with the official to discover we were indeed in the wrong queue.

The views are spectacular, but they really need to think harder about how to deal with the quantity of people, they are clearly unprepared.

Write a ReviewReviews (3 845)
All reviews
"cars"
in 107 reviews

29 - 33 of 3 845 reviews

Reviewed 18 August 2018

Let's be honest, you're not going to walk are you? We wanted to go to the top but we didn't want to take the long walk to get there... So this was a natural choice. The view at the top is astonishing, and very much worth it. If you can't make the journey, or you don't want to walk, this works just fine.
Take care if you're claustrophobic though!

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

We're weren't going to come all this way without going up on the cable car. A little disappointed not to get to the very top but you need time and free special permission before you go. I would have done it if I'd have known. Still it was a fantastic experience and ouĺ would definitely recommend you go wherever you're staying on Tenerife. A camera or phone is essential, wow what view, bove the clouds. I'd never been so high before and even a tiny walk around at the cable car top you can notice the thin air I was almost out of breath. You obviously have to pay to go up and back again. Some only go one way so don't loose your ticket or you will have to pay again! Don't be put off as its fantastic. It was very very busy in August and long queues up and down, not great if your bus driver only gives you 75mins. There's a loo and s vending machine at the top so you can get a drink. Theres not a lot up there really but it's the view that's everything. Our weather was very good and we didn't need the jumpet6we were told to take.

1  Thank allanb747
Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

We booked this excursion through our hotel so it included a coach transfer up there. The coach was prompt, comfortable and the tour guide was really knowledge and entertaining. He very impressively spoke competently in three languages to cater to all the guests too.

We had a stop off enroute and was told to make sure we use the bathroom, which in hindsight wasn't necessary as there are toilets at the cable car and the queues at the stop off were ridiculous. I think maybe the excursion company get perks from sending people in there to use the toilet so they buy stuff, as otherwise it seemed an odd thing to insist people do.

We stopped at a view point just before mount teide, had 20 mins to walk around to take photos which was enough.

We then went to the cable car and started queuing. There were queues sure but it took less than half hour to get into the car and get going which I think is reasonable. As ever, it's a mad dash for people pushing to the front to get by the window in the car, everyone turns a bit feral! But I'd recommend holding back and trying to be the last one in there as you'll get the position right by the door without having to use your elbows to fend off the window warriors. Winning.

I wore flip flops as I wasn't advised any different which was a big mistake. I survived sure, but the walk at the top is pretty rocky so I'd advise either trainers and more stable footwear.

We were given two hours from joining the queue to be back at the bus and told to allow half hour to join the queue at the top to get back down. Which timing wise was absolutely correct.

The views were stunning, you're so far above the clouds you could have a similar view from a plane almost. Really awesome. Although, the path is so rocky as you walk round you only really look down at your feet instead of take in the views all around you, which is frustrating.

All in all a good experience and would recommend anyone who love scenery and walking and a slight bit of adrenaline to give this a go!

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 August 2018

This might be a lengthy review. We are a couple who like to discover places ourselves and try to avoid excursions of tour operators. This been said, we visited the cable car with titsa bus 342, coming from Adeje. There is also bus 348 if you're coming from the north of the island. There is only one bus to the cable car, which departs at 9h15 from Estacion de Costa Adeje. There is also only one bus back, which departs at 15h40 from the cable car (el teleférico). So you can't miss either! It's 14.5 euros for a retour ticket for the bus, starting from Estacion de Costa Adeje.

When we were on the bus and looking for the price of the cable car on our phones, we saw that there were no more tickets left. Luckily, when we arrived we still managed to get tickets, just because we came with the titsa bus. There were like 5 people on the bus (the bus takes little less than 2 hours to get there), so I guess they made an exception for us. If you go by car yourself and you get there without previously bought tickets online, you won't be able to go up I think. It's 27 euros retour per person for the cable car.

But what an experience we had, once we were up the volcano. The views are breathtaking. I think it's a must-see if you're on holiday in Tenerife. You can walk three routes, with one needing a special permission to go all the way up to the crater. The other two routes are frequently walked upon but nonetheless it's stunning to have these views at such a height.

Overall, we had a good experience and it's worth the wait and chaos at the lowel-level part of the cable car. It most certainly is chaos due to the inavailability to buy tickets. I think they should have at least some tickets set aside for people coming on their own and not give away all your tickets to the tour operators, who basically buy up everything and drop off buses full of people, who get to go up immediately.

2  Thank JensDB_95