“Worst service received anywhere in the world”
Review of Bodegas Castaneda

Bodegas Castaneda
Ranked #207 of 1 682 Restaurants in Granada
Price range: US$7 - US$14
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I'm writing this review having seen both sides of how staff here treat the Spanish then treat tourists.

My family are Spanish and from Granada. They brought myself and my family here last year and the food and service were excellent. I myself am British but can speak Spanish albeit with an English accent. I've never had problems communicating in Spain. Following last year's experience I decided to return with just myself, wife and child on Sunday night and was seriously appalled. We were seated inside and when our waiter came to the table to take out drinks order, he was moody and miserable. He made a point of pretending be couldn't understand me despite me simply asking for a cerveza. There was no greeting or small talk and our drinks were slammed onto the table an he walked off. I had to beckon him over to take our food order. Again, no recommendations or small talk, he simply wrote down our order and walked off. I think he was upset that one of his chairs was in use by our small child (who was still a paying customer!)

There was a table of six Spaniards sat at the next table. He was all over them laughing and joking but with other tourist tables, again, his attitude was disgusting.

To be honest the food was average and of reasonable value given the location but not outstanding so I have no idea how this place is popular except maybe for its location.

I asked him for another drink during the meal. Despite being acknowledged he never brought one over. Asked again and he was still too busy with the Spaniards to remember.

I asked for the bill at the end of our meal. After twenty minutes he still hadn't brought it over. I asked another waiter who had walked in to the restaurant and he told me to ask my server. I explained I already had and to be fair he walked straight over to our waiter and told him to get us the bill. This seemed to annoy our server even more as he did bring the bill over and literally threw it on the table and walked off.

I placed my credit card on it and waited... And waited.. and waited.. literally another fifteen minutes went by. I told my wife to start packing up our things and our baby. She left and started heading up the road. I thought this might spur him into action but alas no. When I got up myself he suddenly ran over with the credit card machine and did not utter a word throughout the transaction then threw my card and receipt onto the table as I held out my hand to take them. Utterly disgraceful service and I'll never go back here. Needless to say be got no tip. My only tip for our waiter, Senior J Castano, would be to find yourself a job where you don't have to deal with the public. Perhaps you would be better suited to being a crane operator or something similar so you don't need to speak to anyone all day.

Try the tapas at Tentempie or similar bars for miles close by for better quality and value with brilliant service just a few roads away.

This place doesnt like tourist and treats them with contempt. Surprised it's still trading!

2  Thank Tony M
Write a ReviewReviews (3 417)

9 - 13 of 3 417 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had a great time at bodega Castaneda! The bar was the perfect spot to enjoy the lively Spanish tapas scene. It was entertaining to watch the waiters, bar tenders and chefs energetically interact. The tapas were simple and a good size, nothing fancy or over the top.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were a large group (13 people) and the restaurant was very accommodating for our size. Our first waiter was not overly friendly, but after that, the rest of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. My seven year old ate more than anyone at the table. We enjoyed the meal thoroughly.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There are two Castaneda establishments next door to one another. If you want good food and the tapas experience go to the bar, not the restaurant. If you need to sit, go elsewhere for better food/value.

1  Thank Daniel L
Reviewed 17 June 2018

Avoid!
I was invited by some friends, and didn't have a choice... The moment there is a waiter asking everyone that goes by the restaurant to come in, is a red flag, food was really bad.
Filet was hard as a rock, Jabugo came straight from a package, bred was stale, and waiters very unfriendly.
Avoid.