“Very recomendable bicycle trip.”

Via Verde de la Sierra
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Though it was written that some sections were closed, in fact only one small section in the very beginning of route was closed. Even that wasn't problem because rental firm (Sesca 09) took us behind that closed section. Other so called "closed" sections were perfectly doable (simply some tunnels didn't have illumination and we rode with flashlights of our smartphones). Almost all route from Olvera to Puerto Serrano was gently downhill so it was very easy to ride. At Zaframagon we saw a lot of vultures flying above us. At Coripe train station there are bar with cold beer and other good things :) The same is in Puerto Serrano station. Itinerary is linear so one must return on the same route or call the taxi (it cost us 60 Eur for 6 people).

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"rental"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Just did this amazing bike ride hired bikes at Olvera then did approx 25 miles which was fantastic.
We got taxi back from the village.
Cost 45€ well worth it.
Would most definately do it again.

Reviewed 27 December 2016

This is a great fairly easy rail trail ride if you ride from olvera to Puerto Serrano. There is a cafe at Corripe where you can recharge and refresh for the second half of the trip. As many have mentioned the trip is slightly downhill from olvera to Puerto Serrano which makes it feel like half the length if not 1/3 the length. You have two options if renting bikes. The first is to stay in Ronda and do a day trip with Hike and Bike - they pick you up in Ronda, drop you and bikes in Olbera and pick you up in Puerto Serrano for the return. (If we had been aware of this option we would have taken it.) instead we stayed over one night in olvera, biked in the morning and travelled to Ronda on the afternoon. A local taxi driver will pick you up in PS and take you back to olvera if you don't want to bike the whole way. Olvera is very small with poor hotel and food options and the bike hire is often closed or tetchy (as others have mentioned). We had to haggle with them to allow us to take the bikes because the drop off in PS would be closed when we got there (long story but similar to the one others have told). So I think hike and bike would have been easier and the hotel/restaurants in Ronda are certainly nicer than olvera. ao I heartily endorse the ride but to take it as a day trip from Ronda. Enjoy!

1  Thank decca_mac
Reviewed 14 November 2015

This review is for cycle hire only. We were staying in Olvera in November when the cycle hire is closed mid-week and I wanted to hire a bike for two mid-week days. We were told by the person there at the weekend to phone the preceding night. This I did and arranged to collect a bike at 09.00. I was there in good time next morning and alone, I phoned at 09.10 and was told 10 mins. The guy arrived at 09.20, his manner was unfriendly, I had a feeling I might have got him out of bed! It felt my presence was a nuisance. I wanted a bike for two days, I was told this was impossible, I argued and in end he eventually he agreed to do it as long as I left my passport, which was snatched out my hand and thrown roughly on the workbench. Next came payment; the price for two days was 24 Euros, I offered 30 and no he didn't have any change, I would have to pay by credit card which I duly did. Oddly I wasn't asked for my Olvera address! The bike was quickly pushed in my direction, it was a heavy standard mountain bike and he locked the door and was gone before I could have a proper look. The saddle was loose and at a very odd angle, the tyres were too soft and the gears didn't work properly. I fixed all these things and a good job I had brought my own tools plus spare tube, tyre levers and pump as I was not offered any of these items. All in all a sad experience, some people don't deserve to be in business. The Via Verde is a fantastic use of an unused railway line and highly recommended.

3  Thank petemain
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2015

Did this with my wife and son - amazing! Reasonable fitness necessary to complete the full 36K. Spectacular scenery, with colonies of Griffin Vultures guaranteed and there's very few people around. However, avoid the first 2 weeks of August as the refreshment points and visitor centres along the way are closed for the Spanish holidays. Unless you seek the challenge, best to start at Olvera, as the route descends from there. Bike hire is reasonable and the service is efficient - do explore the option of taxi return; a taciturn German guy named Schubert provides a very smooth service using his minibus, costing up to 50 Euros (Contact details available from the bike hire staff/ leaflets) - he'll pick you up at any accessible point on the route, and he's well worth it.

1  Thank Dean R