All reviews minutes walking distance star hotel city centre no frills five minutes business hotel would stay here again free wifi business trip noise railway breakfast
Reviewed 5 June 2018

Walking distance from main station and city centre. Spacious and clean rooms. Staff is very helpful. We wanted to extend our stay which they agreed immediately.
Wide Spread in breakfast.
Delicious food in the resturant.
Paid parking area. Bar 24 hours. We stayed twice and both the times our experience was best and yes Free WiFi

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Quality G, Leiter Front Office at GHOTEL hotel & living Essen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2018

Dear Pallavi,

thank you very much for your great review and staying with us for the second time. We are so glad to hear that you were fully satisfied again and hope to see you again for a third visit.
Have you already seen the christmas market in decembre? It's really worth a visit.

Kind regards,

Your GHOTEL hotel & living Essen team

Reviewed 14 May 2018

This is a new hotel about five minutes walk from the main train station and the city centre. It's clean, it's warm, it's comfortable, and it's basic. For the amount I paid (less than €60 for a double room), it was good value.

The reception staff are fantastic. They are friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. I spoke to three different people on the front desk, and all were great. I especially loved the big genuine smiles. I couldn't but get the impression that they really want to help you. Many hotels in Essen and beyond could learn a thing or two from them :D

Unfortunately, the same isn't true for the rest of the staff. In the bar and restaurant, it's typical German hotel staff; slow, just about friendly, and incredibly inefficient. In the bar for example, is it not possible to train the bar staff to multi-task? Surely while waiting for a beer to settle for one order, it's possible to do another order?! And as for the restaurant staff during breakfast....I made eye contact, I smiled, I even waved a little, but no one came near me. So I had to gather up milk, coffee and other essentials from the tables around me. If the restaurant was very busy I'd understand, but it wasn't. I just found them to be typical German hotel staff; robotic, but not very well programmed.

For a buffet breakfast, it is quite average, and doesn't offer good value for the price (especially when the rubbish staff are taken into account), as the selection is quite limited. That said, some of the breads they had were soooooo good :-)

All in all this is a good hotel and I will stay here again. The issues that I pointed out are not major and are easily overcome: just go elsewhere for a drink and for breakfast.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Quality G, Leiter Gästebetreuung at GHOTEL hotel & living Essen, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Dear guest,
thank you very much for taking the time to contact us and your phenomenal feedmack. It was very helpful for us!
Of course the given situation in the restaurant/bar isn´t our standard.
So we will train our team to improve our service continuously. We hope to see you again.
Best regards, your team of GHOTEL hotel & living Essen

Reviewed 21 April 2018

The hotel is great! it is really close to city center (5 min walk), and everything is really clean, nice and new. The only thing I found weird that you have to pay for the parking, which is quite unusual (20 Euro for 24-hour parking)

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Quality G, Leiter Gästebetreuung at GHOTEL hotel & living Essen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Dear Eitanrav, thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy to receive your kind feedback. (Our parking lot cost € 9,50 per 24h). Hope to see you again soon. Best regards, your team of GHOTEL hotel & living Essen

Reviewed 12 March 2018

The hotel is fairly new and the staff at check-in delightful. The rooms are clean, not overly big. However, the ventilation is loud. You can turn it off, but since you cannot open the windows, it is not ideal for the night. The lifts have no security trough card key locks. But the most strange thing: When you order delivery food, you have to get down to the lobby and pick it up. I have never experienced this in any part of the world (regardless of the standard of the hotel) and the delivery man confirmed it is the only hotel in Essen with this strange and unfriendly rule.

Room tip: Bring earplugs and don't order delivery food
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Adam, thank you for review of our hotel! We hope to see you again very soon. Best regards, your team of GHOTEL hotel & living Essen

Reviewed 9 March 2018

We stopped off for an overnight stay and found the hotel to be very comfortable with car parking which has to be paid separately. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Overall a good 3 star hotel with no frills.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear guest, many thank for rating your stay at GHOTEL hotel & living Essen. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We apologize for the particularised situation with our team. Hope to see you again. Best regards, your team of GHOTEL hotel & living Essen