“As good as ever.”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Still a highlight of any visit to Cologne for me.

Friendly staff and customers, a proper place for a few beers. Try and see if you can cover the beer mat front and back with the 'strikes' they use to indicate how many you've had.

The pork chop with onions is perfection.

I wonder if people who've had problems are expecting some sort of corporate fake friendly experience rather than an institution with character? I'm sure speaking a few words of German would improve the experience as well.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We went here because we saw it on TripAdvisor, and we're glad we did. They staff wasn't super friendly in the usual way, but they spoke English and were very patient, we felt comfortable. The food was amazing, maybe the amounts were too much, we could have shared. But it was delicious!!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

31st March, me and other 5 friends decided to go there, the told us that waiting process lasts max 30’ .. it was ok bc the we’re bringing us beers all the time.. but this was getting bigger and bigger.. we decided (no clue why) to wait.. after 2 hours and many discussions with the waiters we managed to find a table.. the food was ok but not that much to spend there four hours (17.45-21.45)... PS precise we’re really ok but the waiters were pressing sooo much to refills your glass of beer

1  Thank Kat K
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

The worst place to eat I've ever been to! This place seriously don't deserve your money!

I walked to this place from kolner dom because of some good reviews, but those good reviews about services are wrong. I understand if this place is always full of people, mostly locals. But when I came here, the waiter and the host gave me no clue about how to get the table, order the food or even how to queue.

We waited downstairs beside the standing table, and all of sudden, a random couples which came after us got called first to get the table. They even knew who came first, that's us! This place really not worth to visit if you are tourists! Maybe just good for locals.

Just look for another place that respect and value you appropriately!

1  Thank Rocky K
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

So these guys didn’t accommodate the request of POTUS back then Bill Clinton to reserve the main room, they aren’t going to entertain the requests of people trying to snap a picture. I was lucky to go with German people and the staff was nice and helpful. The food is just amazing, the pork chop is out of this world. We shared our table with a German couple who told us all about the fascinating story of the place. Go for the good food!

1  Thank mansbk