All reviews bar downstairs free tea and coffee bed dorm belgian quarter popular bar double size big lockers small shelf shower area recommend staying here stayed longer would stay here again the staff were extremely helpful city centre wifi connection restaurants and bars on foot
Reviewed 28 May 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 night stay at this hostel. It was very clean and spacious and the actual beds have a curtain around which gives you so much privacy and space, the bed is actually a double size which iv never experienced in a hostel before. The lockers are really good and secure and I felt like my things were always safe. The hostel is located in a really nice alternative area with plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from and it is only a ten minute tram ride from the city centre. Make sure to use the side door to enter the hostel as I was waiting at the bar for an hour not realising the hostel entrance was somewhere else.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 3 May 2018

The hostel entrance is a bit hard to find. I think most people end up going through the bar/restaurant downstairs when they first arrive, but once you check in and get your key, there's a separate entrance just to the hostel. The hostel is located a bit far from the city centre and tourist attractions, but there are several tram stops nearby, so it's not too hard to get anywhere.

There is a lift, so no need to haul your luggage up 4 flights of stairs! The girl who checked me in was very cheerful and friendly, and gave me lots of good information. Throughout my stay, I found the staff to be very helpful and easy to talk to.

The star of the show was the rooms, which are jaw-droppingly beautiful. My room was ballet-themed, and as a lifelong dancer myself, I instantly fell in love. Wood floors, full-wall mirror, barres with pointe shoes and tutus hanging from them, fabulous chandeliers. Even the beds were in cubbies with curtains that looked like they belonged on stage. And what beds they were! I've never seen such huge beds in a hostel before! Maybe not quite a double, but much bigger than a single. So ridiculously comfortable! The bunks are high enough that you can easily sit up without hitting your head.

Each bed also had a reading light, electrical outlet, and small shelf for your belongings. The shelf was at an awkward height above the pillow, so I couldn't properly sit up in bed without hitting my head on that. However, the bed was wide enough that I could sit sideways with my back against the wall, and my feet were still on the mattress! The room was sunny and well-lit too, and I honestly could have happily spent my entire stay just hanging out in my bed! (I didn't, of course.) Since my bed was up against the window, the sill was at a perfect height that I could set my mirror there and do my makeup whilst sitting comfortably on my own bed and having perfect natural lighting!

There are two bathrooms, one with stalls and one private. The private one is a bit cramped and dimly lit, but I like my privacy so I was happy to use that one anyway. Unfortunately, there's only one so sometimes I had to wait, but that was okay. One thing I loved is that there was a little box filled with complimentary pads and tampons! What a thoughtful touch.

The showers were in a separate room, and they were so nice! Warm, clean, comfortable, with a separate little dressing area. They were properly enclosed so as not to flood the bathroom. There were sinks in the shower area as well, with a nice big mirror and counter space for getting ready in the morning.

Unfortunately, there is no guest kitchen. There's an eating area with dishes and free/coffee tea, if you bring back a pre-made meal from the grocery store, but nowhere to cook your own. There's also no sink. On the bright side, you don't have to wash your own dishes! (Unusual in a hostel!) On the downside, I couldn't wash my waterbottle, and had to fill it in the bathroom sink, which I didn't like. They do offer a breakfast, but it's very expensive (6 or 7 euros) so I declined that.

Wifi was strong and fast throughout the hostel.

Overall, this hostel was so beautiful and comfortable; I wish I could have stayed longer!

Date of stay: April 2018
1  Thank cherryredtoenails
Reviewed 28 April 2018

This atmospheric and beautifully appointed hostel is like the backdrop to a magazine photoshoot and has a great setting in the wonderful Belgian quarter - which oddly, reminded me very much of Vesterbro in Copenhagen.
Die Wohngemeinschaft has obviously won plaudits for its original concept that those staying here are 'flatmates' and that a backstory has been invented for the fictional inhabitant of every themed room.
Very imaginative and quite intriguing - I think a lot of love has been put into this. It is a clever idea which is extremely well executed. This is a completely viable alternative to a budget hotel, if not an improvement upon it.
It does not have any private facilities but does have a toilet in each corridor and elsewhere plus segregated showers.
This could be off-putting to some but provided these facilities are used properly by guests it is a problem free environment really
However... the sinks next to the shower are not to be used as makeup stations nor is this area suitable for ironing - sights seen during my stay
It's just not big enough and people getting in and out of showers could do without it!
That is the only criticism I could have of this place - which does not of course refer to the premises itself.
The Danilo room is warmly recommended to those of you who love the written word it is delightful. It looks like the sort of place where novels are written.
We ended up too in the Hawaiian themed room it was pretty hilarious
The continental breakfast is brilliant value for six euros 90. - very fresh and is completely in keeping with the fact that this is excellent all round in terms of value and quality
And The Living Room where it is served remains open so people can enjoy free tea and coffee during the day. To me it was a great place to sit and read and also have a chat with other guests.
There is a theatre in the premises as well as an extremely popular bar below but to me the only noise issue was from the street itself and it wasn't that bad really.
I thought the staff were extremely helpful throughout - it is a laid back atmosphere but they are clearly hardworking and extremely welcoming to guests. Well done to them all!
Plus I also thought it was a very safe environment for say, a lone female traveller. Unfortunately you simply cannot say that about all hostels.
I would also like to praise the staff they were very welcoming and extremely helpful.
I cannot believe there is a better hostel in Cologne to be honest and I hope that plenty more Tripadvisors have the pleasure of discovering Die Wohngemeinschaft for themselves.
They will truly see that these words of praise are no exaggeration.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2018

Very cool place but doesn't sacrifice quality. Staff really welcoming and informative and although as a hostel it's maybe not as open as others you can easily meet people.
The hotel is above a very popular bar but this doesn't result in much noise as you're located on either floor 3 or 5 of the building.
Rooms are quirky as anything and provide a good amount of space and are clean. You can have privacy as each bed has a curtain and the bed area is spacious. Bathroom was clean and large and didn't seem busy enough to be pressured to have quick showers!
Location is good, bars everywhere and 3 minute walk from metro station.
would recommend

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

The hostel was in a good location, only 5 minutes walk from the train and one Christmas market. Some lovely restaurants and cafes nearby, also saw a few bars. Staff in the hostel were friendly and helpful as were the other guests. Hostel was clean, warm and comfy. Free tea and coffee was a nice touch, fridge bar in the lounge and also a cool bar downstairs . Would definitely recommend staying here.

Date of stay: December 2017