“Amayzing food and service.”

Restaurant Bieberbau
Ranked #13 of 9 306 Restaurants in Berlin
Price range: US$55 - US$74
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Bieberbau at Durlacher Str. 15 in Berlin-Wilmersdorf is part of a former studio and dwelling house. Built 1893/94 by Wilhelm Walther for the sculptuor Richard Bieber, it was nearly completely destroyed by a firebomb during World War II. Only the rooms and decoration of what is now the restaurant survived. The stucco ornamentation you can admire here have been created by the most advanced students and trainedcraftsmen of the principal and owner. He maintained a plasterer's and sculptuor's studio. The decorations depict different motives from mythology and rural life. They show advanced technical skills. The premises in their organic design provide an insight into the stuccateurs' craftmenship unique for Berlin around the turn of the twentieth century. They offer a unique spatial experience the qualitiy and complexitiy of which were out of the ordinary. In the backyard of the house there were several studios, amongst others those of the expressionist work group ,,Die Brücke" (,,The Bridge"). Between 1910 and 1913 Max Pechstein and Ernst Ludwig Kirchner worked here.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Both my wife and I are vegeterian which can be a challenge for some resturants.
Here they were offering us a vegterian menu + some extra's small dishes out of the menu which were great.
Food is unique and creative, service is warm and nice and prices are very fair.
We recommend this resturant as a special dine in Berlin

1  Thank Udi H

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

very delicious German cuisine. service is a high level. take set of 5 dishes to understand all you need

1  Thank nikolaromano
Reviewed 10 June 2018

My husband and me were on our wedding anniversary in Berlin and as a surprise he invited me for a dinner out to the amazing Bieberbau. When we walked in without a reservation we were most friendly and warmly welcomed. The table was just next to the old tiled stove or something similar. It was really cosy and comfortable as I would have never expected once walking in. We had a 5 course menu and before we were even looking at the menu the astonishlingly obliging waitress suggested us the different wines for all available courses. On that basis it was easy to choose the wine for our different course. We had a wonderful quite evening with fantastic food and would come back every time. Thank you for this delightful evening and food experience.

1  Thank plaisiratrois
Reviewed 8 June 2018

Worked for all (business) guests in party. All dietary requirements catered for imaginatively, smoothly and without fuss. Pretty much wonderful all round. Food, wine, service much enjoyed by all. Would absolutely book again. Well worth it.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

We went to Restaurant Bieberbau as a treat during our Berlin trip.

Unfortunately the experience was a really mixed bag. My wife had the lamb and she really liked it. I chose the flank steak and while the meat was good, the sides were not. The vegetable was drenched in Dijon mustard and the mustard was so spicy that it overpowered all other flavors. At this price point I would have expected a much more balanced seasoning.

Even worse, when I was asked by the waitress if everything was okay I told her that the sauce was really overpowering. Her only response was “oh, that’s the mustard - it’s supposed to be like this”. Essentially she didn’t care that I was unhappy with my dinner.

I would give one star for my experience as this was not worthy of such an establishment, but the really great experience my wife had balances it out. So, I give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt and hope they just had a bad day.