“Nothing to see, but the location is top-notch.”

Embassy of the United States
Ranked #829 of 962 things to do in Berlin
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Hardly an "attraction", the American embassy is strategically located next to the Brandenburg gate.
The building itself is anything but interesting, which is a good this, as not to distract the attention from the real attraction in the region, which is the gate itself.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

As a proud American citizen I was pleased to see our Embassy be princely located right across from the Holocaust Memorial directly across the street and also very near Brandenburg Place. I do believe that despite our issues we did in fact have a role with other allied forces in bringing the atrocities of WWII to an end! We can learn a lot from Germany!

Reviewed 26 January 2017

How could be an American Embassy located within the old East Berlin? How could it be so close to the Brandenburg Gate? It is really huge, I've never seen such a big US embassy before. Messageholder...

Reviewed 16 January 2017

A rather peculiar listing for TripAdvisor. We don't often see embassies listed as attractions in the cities visited.

Like other U.S. Embassies, this is not a traditional attraction which you can visit for sightseeing. Other than U.S. citizen services, visa, emigration and other official government purposes, I doubt you can visit the inside of this heavily guarded building.

As such, take a brief look of the outside of the U.S. Embassy building and then continue onward with your intended sightseeing.

What you will find is a modest if not homely, block-style construction with virtually no attractive features from an architectural perspective. In essence, it seems the building attempts to blend in without dazzling or sticking out like a sore thumb. It is just there.

In the end, we didn't like nor dislike the U.S. Embassy building at Pariser Platz. Just have a quick look if you are interested and then give your time and attention to the Brandenburg Gate, which is the deserving reason for visiting this location in Berlin.

1  Thank BradJill
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 December 2016

A slightly surprising location but there are embassies from all nations in the near vicinity. I'm slightly confused by other previous comments - I'm no architectural expert but to me was a modern building not out of place with the modern Berlin being constructed all around the city. Didn't find the security any more than the British embassy just round the corner (less so in fact - police and closed roads round there) and I do find it interesting to see the presence of other countries in cities around the world by the way of such places. I'm sure security is paramount but this was not obvious to the tourist visitor. Interesting to see - might not have the look of the Russian embassy not far down the road which is in a stunning building but a good experience to see this place on our visit.