“Another old palace, similar to Stockholm, but great if you haven't done one...”
Review of Munich Residence

Munich Residence
Ranked #15 of 345 things to do in Munich
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Two annoying things were that the audioguides had the same 5 sec of music at the beginning of many of the sound tracks...not what I paid for (otherwise audio very good, you can stop each one when it gets boring).....Also the trail sometimes split, and one way was a no-exit, but which one???
Lots of shell and stone art I hadn't seen before, which was very interesting. But if you are short of time, and have done similar, just do the treasury and jewels. Don't take kids, it's too much.

Write a ReviewReviews (4 767)
All reviews
"couple of hours"
in 43 reviews

118 - 122 of 4 768 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Everyone told me: in Munich visit the Residence, and now I see why. It is interesting how when most of is think about the grandeur of European royalty we barely think about Germany, nonetheless this magnificent palace is a proof of how great and powerful this region has historically been. The place is enormous and room after room one finds hundreds of surprises. Make sure to bring comfortable shoes.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Hi all, If you follow Rick Steves and his travel shows of Europe you probably are like me and want to see those places also. When I saw the show about the Residence, I knew I had to visit. This was all part of my walking tour of the Old city of Munich. From Marienplatz it is a short distance to the museum. First of all, have comfortable walking shoes, for you are going to doing a lot of walking. Also have your best no flash camera, believe it or not, my cell phone takes the best. Make sure you have a full charge and lots of space, for you will want to photograph every room, each room is breath taking. One thing, there are small signs showing the way, some are not real clear so be prepared to get turned around, but there are plenty of staff to ask questions. Like all museums, don't touch anything or go past the ropes. I think the cost was appox 8 Euro for the tour, they are self guided, you can get a headset if you like. I stopped using it after a few stops and just enjoyed the art, and so will you. Be prepared to spend 2 plus hours in there.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

The lavish collection is amazing and the audio guide provides a good level of information and the ability to get details about each individual piece.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

In April, there was construction around the entrance. We started to go through the arch, saw a construction van, ladders and generally no room to walk, so we said, hmm, must not be the entrance! Then proceeded to walk ALL AROUND THE PALACE going to each entrance that Google shows. Nothing was open. We finally decided to squeeze past the van and lo an behold, there’s the entrance. Would a sign have been THAT difficult to post?

Rant over. The Crown Jewels are amazing! This is a MUST DO. There are other items past the that are way cool, like the cups made from shells.

Skip the actual palace. It’s boring. First, I couldn’t bring in my purse because they said it was too big. Not real comfortable with handing over my $2000 camera, passport, etc and I had no pockets in my outfit! Perhaps if there were more than 12 people there I could understand, but it was dead empty (maybe bc of the construction!). Second, most of the rooms are empty! The government is just now starting to fund restoration, so there’s a lot of, “well this used to be here before the .” Use your imagination. Afterwards, I wondered why I couldn’t have my purse, there wasn’t anything to bang into and nothing to steal. Oh well!