All reviews historic building brought back memories perfect location old town plenty of wardrobe space public spaces town square eggs cooked to order side street desk staff sofa bed hotel is beautiful first morning pedestrian area mini bar bars and restaurants wonderful stay
Reviewed 12 October 2015

I was really looking forward to staying at the Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg. However when I got there they broke my heart! After a long journey and sitting in commuter traffic for at least an hour we arrived in the Altstadt area of Heidelberg. Exhausted, tired and thirtsy I get to the front desk and they tell me that unfortunately they will not be able to honor my reservation. When I asked why they said that a staff member had not booked a large group properly and it was easier for them to tell me and a number of other guests that we could not stay there than to deny the large group! When I asked why they hadn't called or emailed me about this before I came all the way to Heidelberg they had no answer. I had made my reservation weeks in advance and I think this was extremely dishonorable and unprofessional of the Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg. Apparently 400 years in the hotel business has not taught them anything about hospitality or good business practice!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank 322laura2015
Reviewed 11 October 2015

We stayed at the hotel for two nights in late September. The building is lovely and in the heart of the Altstadt, convenient for sight-seeing, restaurants etc. The hotel attracts visitors in its own right, as the 'oldest house in Heidelberg', and we frequently looked out of our window to see crowds of tourists taking photos of the building. Our room was supposed to be a superior one, but had a shabby feel to it - walls a bit grubby looking and not much attention to detail. Having said that, the beds were comfortable and it was OK for a couple of nights. The breakfast was very good and the staff were pleasant. We parked in Parkhaus 13 which is just a couple of minutes' walk from the hotel. The hotel is convenient and characterful, but more attention to detail in the rooms would help.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Matthias E, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2015

Dear WendyJed,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay at the Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg. I am to read that you have been happy with our service and your overall stay. Concerning the quality of the rooms, I would like to share the information with you that we will start the renovation to refurbish the rooms from January next year. I do hope to welcome you soon again in Heidelberg and do hope that you will stay again with us.

Best regards

Reviewed 23 September 2015

Awesome location. Awesome staff. Only complaint is I was only here for one night. We arrived early and expected the room not to be ready. The reception man was so nice to us. We were able to get refreshed and he helped us with directions and assistance to build out our day.

The room was basic. But large from a European standpoint. And for the age of the hotel. I suspect my room was part of a large add-on, or remodel. That didn't matter, it was a very spacious room and very comfortable.

Location cannot be beat for touring Heidelberg.

Awesome choice!

1  Thank JimAtlanta
Matthias E, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

Dear JimAtlanta,

it was the best motivation of the day to read your posting on Tripadvisor. I will pass on your feedback to my staff, as this what we are living for - guest service. I do hope to welcoming you soon again in Heidelberg hopefully you can arrange to stay a little bit longer with us, there is a lot to discover in Heidelberg and its surroundings.

Best regards

Reviewed 22 September 2015

This is a beautiful hotel well located in the centre and walking distance of the castle. The staff were extremely helpful - rooms were a bit basic really but the atmosphere and character of the hotel made up for it!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Matthias E, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2015

Dear Mary C,

your posting on Tripadvisor is the best motivation for our employees. Thank you very much for that. I do hope to welcoming you soon again in Heidelberg in the most historical hotel in Heidelberg, the Ritter St. Georg.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 September 2015

If you are looking for the perfect hotel to stay in Heidelberg, look no further than the Hotel Zum Ritter. It is superbly located in the heart of the Old Town within short walking distance to all the main attractions. It is a listed building built in 1592 and is hailed as "the finest historical and most artistically valuable town house in Heidelberg" with an exquisite facade of ornamented fluted columns and gables. It is counted as one of the attractions of the city and hordes of tourists gather outside the hotel with their guides everyday to admire the building. The only let-down is the very modern decor of the room with no hint or character of its history. It is a nice room but very hot without air condition but I do understand that a listed building like this would not be permitted to have ugly air con unit sticking out of the building. The temperature was 35C when we were there and even with a fan it was uncomfortably stuffy. Nevertheless the charming ambience in the lobby and restaurant compensated for the discomfort of the room. The staff are friendly and helpful especially the lovely blonde lady at the front desk.

Room Tip: Choose room facing the side street where it is quieter.

Dear HelenOon,

thank you very much for your time to share your experience during your stay at the Hotel zum Ritter in Heidelberg. I do hope that you have enjoyed your visit. We will start quite soon with the renovation of our rooms, taking care about our heritage. I am more than happy to read that you have been satisfied with the friendleness of our staff. I do hope to see you soon again at the Ritter.

Kind regards