All reviews sea view sea front watch the boats minute walk car park sound of the waves booked a family suite service stops hotel bikes weather permitting sun terrace lovely walk town centre separate toilet main restaurant small balcony croissants
Reviewed 21 September 2018

This was our second stay at Hotel Les Brises. In 2013 we planned a trip to France and Germany to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We included a visit to La Rochelle as it is where my husband's family came from in 1637 (to Acadia in Nova Scotia, Canada).
We fell in love with it as we walked from our hotel to Old Port and beyond via the seaside parks finding beauty and "old world" charm everywhere we looked. We had a wonderful time and so when we were planning our 30th anniversary trip with friends we wanted them to experience what we had 5 years earlier and didn't hesitate to book rooms at Hotel Les Brises once more. I'm very glad that we did. It was even better the second time around and our friends agreed.
The rooms had been redesigned and were beautiful. As soon as we opened our balcony doors to the unforgettable view and the sound of the waves crashing the shore we knew we had made the right choice.
We knew that the hotel only provided breakfast and at a cost and that was fine by us (not big on breakfast). We were able to order drinks and have them brought to the room and even used "Uber Eats" one night with great success. The rooms have fridges that allow to have your own beverages and snacks which is wonderful for those gorgeous evenings out on the balcony.
We visited in September so air conditioning wasn't really an issue. We slept with the doors open lulled by the sound of the water. We were never disturbed by noise of any kind. That's the benefit of staying away from "all of the action" in town.
The staff are professional, friendly, accommodating and efficient.
We rented bikes with ease right at the hotel which is a great way to get into town or to Ile de Re. No issues finding a place to lock up the bike until you're ready to bike back.
If I could ask for one thing it would be more information about the buses. I noticed the bus stop near the hotel but had no idea where they would take me or when they ran.
It would have been nice to have the option of hopping on the bus into town at times. Had I asked I'm sure the information would have been happily provided but perhaps including it in some general information at check-in would be helpful to other travelers.
La Rochelle combined with a visit to the Ile de Re is a beautiful way to celebrate any occasion. We were always treated well by restaurant servers, hotel staff and shop owners even when attempting to make our high school french work for us. There was the one rude vendor at the flea market that did not appreciate my attempts to converse in his beautiful language and dismissed me with a wave of the hand muttering something about "only for french". But to the rest of you........Merci Beaucoup!
I would never hesitate to recommend your hotel to friends or family.
Carol Boudreau
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Room tip: Seaside view without a doubt. Nothing like it!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

I chose this because of the view. One night in La Rochelle, so I didnt want an 89 euro room facing the carpark. I chose the 139 euro room facing the sea, and glad I did. Lovely view over the sun deck. Breakfast was not included (?), so two glasses of rosé and two breakfasts, and our final bill was 179 Euro. Pleasant staff, and nice decor.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Just had 3 nights here & its definately on the list to return. Staff are very efficient & helpful, it’s very clean & comfortable, I loved the decor & the outside terrace has been done brilliantly. The room although small was big enough & was very well equipped & the bathroom & separate toilet are very modern with a superb shower area - plenty of room! A fridge is provided & keeps things cold which a lot in hotels don’t. Kettle & coffee, provided & a mini safe. The location is perfect if you want a sea view. It was such a joy to be able sit on the balcony & watch the boats & sea activity. The breakfast was lovely & fresh each day. Sadly no restaurant on site which would have been perfect. However 15-20 mins easy walking along a pretty route takes you to many restaurants.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2018

Of course this is only 3 star, but it was immaculately clean, in a quiet area, and with great views across the harbour. An easy 20 min walk into town, or buses right outside. Free parking and lovely terrace, 15 mins from airport. Will go back again

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

The French West Coast, when you get here it is amazing. Restaurants and bars, drinks and sun. Casino is on for the gambler. Beach is small so focus on bars and restaurants but avoid the main harbour. Tourists only!!

Date of stay: August 2018