“A Fabulous Place”

Ranked #7 of 104 Restaurants in Bayeux
Price range: US$10 - US$29
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Apres 20h00 uniquement sur reservation Le midi: plat du jour 9,70 euros avec un verre de vin(10 cl) offert. Le soir : un menu unique qui change tous les jours, (entrée, plat du jour, dessert) 19,50 euros , hors vendredi et samedi
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Based on other reviews, we picked this place for a quick dinner before catching the train back to Paris. The owner made sure there was room based on later bookings but showed us to a table immediately (we were the only ones in the restaurant at the 6pm time). We had charcuterie, the menu of the day and the beef ribs (read ribeye) and all were excellent as was the wine that the owner picked for us. Our family of 5 (kids teen and pre-teen) loved the entire experience.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

What a suprise! This small restaurant in Bayeux is amazing. Delicious food and wine (with a great selection). If you are lucky to stay close to the window, even better. Do not hesitate to go to this restaurant!

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Exceptional service and delicious gourmet food.
We definitely appreciate the advice of smart wine Connoisseurs! My husband and I are just starting to appreciate the exquisite wines of the different regions . Everything was perfect !
Best onion soup !!!

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

My family and I travelled to Bayeux for the day and pre planned to go here having previously seen this restaurant on Tripadvisor.

I ordered the menu of the day which is toasted bread with sausage to start.

For main, Haddock and turbot, roasted vegetables with a creamed rice. The rice was risotto like, which appeared to be cooked with cream and fish stock.

To finish, a strawberry cream cake. The 3 courses were all very good.

My wife and children ordered the charcuterie and cheese selection to share €35. The board was plentiful and had a selection of 3 local Normandy cheeses plus bread.

My daughter has the snails - 6. Not having tried them before I can’t comment.

For main, my children ordered the beef rib €28 which again was nicely seasoned and cooked as medium rare as requested. The side of potatoes and salad were also good.

My wife ordered the chicken and cheese salad which was the worst dish of the evening. The chicken looked like it was out of a packet rather than freshly cooked. The dish didn’t match the rest of the food which was a real shame!

The local pear cider was very good (€5 a flute) but the cans of soft drinks (sprite) at €5 euros each were a shock when we had the bill.

I like the concept of the restaurant and the majority of the food was good. I would say come here if you’re into your wine as there is plenty of choice all around you, literally!

Not the best restaurant of our visit to Normandy but certainly not the worst.

7/10

Reviewed 3 June 2018

We were running out of options when I happened to spy this Cave - Bistrot. Reading the simple menu on the board outside we decided to give it a try. One of the best decision we made on the whole trip! A warm greeting from the owner had us seated in no time at all studying the menu. He invited us to try the local "Pommeau" or Cider, but I declined and said we would go straight for the wine and could I have the wine list. I was rewarded with a beaming smile and a simple answer of "...I am the wine list"! He then explained that we could chose any bottle from the shelves that covered all the walls and enjoy them by the bottle or by the glass. Wow, this was a first, sitting in a wine shop surrounded by a vast range of wines which you enjoy by the bottle or the glass whilst enjoying a delicious meal. His colleague who took our order asked what style of wine we would like, grape variety etc etc and he suggested "Quincy". Absolutely delicious and very reasonable at 25 euros. To eat we both had the menu of the day comprising of sliced Lyonnaise sausage with dressed haricot verts followed by courgettes stuffed with minced meat in a silky tomato sauce. The dessert was simply the best crème brulee I have ever tasted. Perfectly set with a smooth creamy texture flavoured with a hint of calvados. Bliss
It was a really great atmosphere almost like sitting in a friends kitchen and enjoying great food, wine and company. A definite must visit!