“Not quite as advertised”

Montpellier Gourmet Walking Tour
Gourmet Walking Tour of Montpellier
Ranked #8 of 15 Food & Drink in Montpellier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join your English speaking host for an intimate and unique gourmet walking tour of Montpellier. Stroll the streets past historical buildings while sampling local specialties, meeting merchants and getting historical and cultural tips. The visit will include delights such as pastry, cheese, wine and other fine foods. Other unique experiences available: wine tour and tasting in a Citroen 2HP vintage vehicle, cooking workshop from 10am to 2pm or private chef in your holiday home.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 26 June 2016

To my mind, a "gourmet tour" of a French city should be more than dropping into a cookie shop (where one biscuit was provided), to an olive oil shop where at most 2cc of oil were offered, to a sweets shop where one macaroon and a small chocolate were made available, etc. There was a bit more "bulk" at a cheese shop where Roquefort and bread were provided. However, for a lot of people, "blue cheese" is an acquired taste, thus it was not agreeable to all. As a result, there was plenty of bread and cheese remaining after our visit, which our tour guide took home. The tours was also said to include "wines." Note the plural here. I assumed we would have a tasting of local or regional wines; however, we were treated to one wine (a cheap rose) at a wine shop. Being the wine enthusiast that I am, I was sorely disappointed (and a bit offended) at the offer here. For 50 Euro per person, one can do a lot better going to a nice restaurant. I was quite hungry after this tour. So much so, that my wife and I went out for dinner after. This made for a much more expensive night out than we anticipated. I will say that our guide is quite informative and gave us some interesting details about the city of Montpellier. But, the cost was not worth it.

1  Thank Haggis969

Reviewed 13 January 2016 via mobile

I really enjoyed the tour with Nancy, a native Canadian, so the tour can be in English. She has done a lot of work to select the best of the best shops to stop at, all focusing on the true art of what they make/provide. You will have a chance to try one or a few select items from each location. These items are specially chosen by Nancy, the vendor, and the season to give you a one of a kind taste of southern France. Along the way, Nancy will tell quirky stories about the buildings, shops and location. She isn't an historian, but I'm sure these are the stories I will remember and pass on when looking at my photos. It was a delicious and fun afternoon.

For 3 complete hours you can follow along getting lost in the sights, sounds and tastes of Montpellier. No need to worry about where you are, deciding what you should try, or hoping that the shop owner will be able to understand you, Nancy takes care of everything!

Reviewed 18 June 2015

We had a lovely experience in Montpellier taking the gourmet walking tour of Nancy, we discovered merchants that we wouldn't find them by ourselves and them products are delicious!! Nancy has little stories about each item and makes the tour very pleasant. As we walk along the street discovering great buildings she gave us historical facts about Montpellier. Clearly she's doing a very good job, tour well prepared with high standard products ...we strongly recommend!!!

Reviewed 19 September 2014 via mobile

Although our guides Paul and Tatiana told us there wasn't really a food speciality of Montpellier we were treated to a veritable feast on this tour. Visiting small, independent retailers we tasted: olive oil, fig vinegar (yum!), honey from sunflower and white heather farms, tuna and sundried tomato terrine, green and black olive tapenade, chilled red dessert wine, chocolates, savoury macarons (made with Roquefort and gorgonzola cheeses, olives, hazelnuts, mint and sweet peas!), fresh oysters, aw fish salad, octopus and tomato tart, breads, fresh figs, grapes and local red wine from the "wolf mountain". A wonderfully tasty experience.

1  Thank Jean_Somerville