“Fresh Oysters and great Foie Gras”
Review of Le Suffren

Le Suffren
Ranked #1 255 of 18 479 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 October 2016

We always visit Le Suffren when we are in Paris to have a taste of their great fresh Oysters (I can recommend the Normandie No. 3 if you are a first time taster - do not forget to ask for the Tabasco and give it just ONE drop :-)) and their great tasting Foie Gras - all with a bottle Boujolais. On the expensive side but worth every Euro. If you are a Shell fisk conniseur please go ahead and share one of the entire platters of different kinds of Oyesters and Shell fish.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 189)

145 - 149 of 1 189 reviews

Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

I took my family for dinner after reading reviews of the restaurant, thinking that we would have great time. The food was great, the atmosphere was nice. We actually talked about we should take some friends out for dinner some other time. BUT everything was changed by the server's attitude.... After we paid the bill, we were waiting for the change (the change was 3.5 € was not a huge amount). However the server seemed like he forgot to bring the change or something so we asked another server to bring us the change then few minutes later the server brought us the change in all smallest amount (.10 €) and threw them on the table. I was very shocked how rudely he threw the change. I was extremely upset for the fact that he brought all the coins on purpose... as if we asked something wrong.. I think that the server probably thought the change was a tip for him otherwise he wouldn't give that dirty look on his face and threw the change on the table...which i find it little strange because he just assumed it without asking us if we need a change or not...
We liked the place but sadly we would never come back or recommend to other people because of the server's attitude.

Reviewed 25 October 2016 via mobile

I was traveling alone and looked on TripAdvisor for someplace to eat. This place had some bad reviews, but it was close to the Tour Effiel so I wanted to try it for the seafood. I am an American who doesn't speak French and I had hands down one of the best customer service experiences I can recall. Very friendly staff. Relaxed atmosphere. I went at 930pm and they sat me immediately. One of the only places around open past 10/1030. Fresh seafood and snails would strongly recommend, but appeared to be a lot of local parties there as well.

Couldn't recommend enough

Reviewed 15 October 2016

On a multi generational trip to Paris, my husband and I had one evening out alone while the grandparents babysat. We rented an apartment very close to Le Suffren, and were so excited to have our first night out since the birth of our child that we forgot to actually look for a place to dine at. Ha! We walked down Avenue de Suffren not even knowing where we were headed when we stumpled upon Le Suffren. The raw bar in the front was enough to bring us in. We were seated in a cozy, quiet area of the restaurant, and handed menus. Neither of us speak French and as this was our first experience in a restaurant, we immediately panicked a little without needing to.

The menu, while in French, offered English translations. The wait staff, all four of them that came to our table at different times during our meal (water person, waiter, busboy, sommelier) were all patient with us and never made us feel rushed.
When we finally decided on our meal, it was a breeze to order with our lack of French. We ordered Chinese rolls, beef with a mushroom sauce served with potatoes au gratin, and beef with a pepper sauce served with green beans and a salad. Both entrees were superb! For dessert, we shared a warm chocolate lava cake served with the creamiest ice cream we've ever had. The meal was fantastic, the wine selection was quite grand and our choice was fantastic (can't remember what it was), the atmosphere was busy yet intimate enough to be romantic. We loved it so much we returned the following evening with our entire traveling group. This included a toddler. They offered us a high chair for him, which we discovered was not typically found in restaurants. Unfortunately, the second night when my husband and I got the same entrees we'd ordered the previous night and found them to be sub par. His parents loved their meals - half roasted chicken with a mustard sauce served with roasted potatoes. Our toddler loved the fish soup, and disliked the hamburger. Dining with a toddler can lead to a great mess, as was the case with our experience. The staff didn't even bat an eye and refused to let us clean up the mess our toddler had created. It was a lot more busy the second night we dined here, and we thought perhaps that lead to the disappointment we experienced; however, despite the disappointment we would be willing to try it again.

Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

A quite simple place with professional and friendly service.
Salad was very good and the Steak tartar of Charolais was superb.