“Disappointing choucroute!”
Review of Chez Jenny

Chez Jenny
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Chez Jenny is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 191 of 18 715 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Le Marais
Description: This 1930s-style brasserie, symbol of the Place de la Republique, has honoured Alsace and its gastronomic specialities for the past 80 years, serving sauerkraut prepared according to a host of recipes, as well as other delicious regional specialities, including flammenkuche tarts, apple strudel, Vosges meringue and kougof cake. Charles Spindler designed its famous marquetry, which contributes to its being one of the most beautiful brasseries in Paris--This 1930s-style brasserie, symbol of the Place de la Republique, has honoured Alsace and its gastronomic specialities for the past 80 years, serving sauerkraut prepared according to a host of recipes, as well as other delicious regional specialities, including flammenkuche tarts, apple strudel, Vosges meringue and kougof cake. Charles Spindler designed its famous marquetry, which contributes to its being one of the most beautiful brasseries in Paris
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We passed by this restaurant for years but never went in so decided to go for lunch on Easter Sunday. The place was packed and we had to wait to be seated and it was 2.30pm. I thought this was a good sign. The place is nicely decorated in Alsatian style. My husband and I had the choucroute strasbourgeoise and our daughter moule frite. I have eaten many choucroutes as it is common in the part of France I come from. Well, it was a disappointment as it was bland. The variety of meats should make this dish very tasty but it lacked flavours. We tried, we won't go back. For a good choucroute, I would recommend brasserie Bofinger near Bastille.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 234)

10 - 14 of 1 234 reviews

Reviewed 27 March 2018

A late-evening dinner after a full day of sightseeing. And although all four of us ordered the set menu, a bargain compared to the a la carte prices, everything was perfect. As a matter of fact, the fish dish was better than amazing. Wow! Choucroute delicious as well, and the one chicken eater declared the dish delectable.

Very pleasant service all along, and also enjoyed the house white wine. And a great setting. That all puts Chez Jenny on my list of favorite Paris standbys.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

Last year I had liked everything a lot more. I bring a large group of 22 people to the theater nearby then we come to lunch during the week. I ordered menu express with choucroutes. This year there was very little meat on the bone and the meat was dry. A little disappointed and the profiteroles weren’t as excellent either. It’s quite expensive. I think next year I’ll take the group to another restaurant. The service wasn’t as good either.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Situated near the Republique Square, this is an old world brasserie style French restaurant with specialities from the Alsace region so has both classic French and Germanic dishes.
The decor is definitely classic and the staff is formal and attentive but has a charm and ‘Frenchness’ that’s makes it comfortable.
While I love the Germanic influence with sauerkraut dishes, I opted for French staring with fresh oysters followed by a main course of mussels cooked in white wine...simple yet delicious.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We was recommended this restaurant by the Hotel we were staying in. I had read some reviews that you should reserve a table however I couldn’t reserve until midnight. As we were staying fairly close by we took the gamble and got there at 7pm. We went straight in and was given a table near the window. We were lucky though as within 30 mins there was a queue to get in which went outside. It is a large restaurant and it was full up by 8pm. The service was really good considering how busy it was and the food was really nice. However the food is more German than traditional French, but it was still good. I would highly recommend this restaurant.