“Cooking class extraordinaire ”
Review of Atelier des Sens

Atelier des Sens
Ranked #13 of 157 Classes & Workshops in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: French cooking and pastry classes in Paris (in French and in English).Since 2004, our chefs share with you their culinary savoir-faire. Join us for a 1, 2, 3 or 4 hours cooking class in English (12 participants maximum) so that everyone can get hands-on how to make from scratch a variety of French recipes.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This cooking class exceeded my expectations. Chef Jean Mathat Christol was charming, funny, and highly skilled in this English-speaking cooking class. It was a market-cooking class held on a Sunday in a lovely plaza behind the beautiful big door on Rue Sedaine.
We walked to the outdoor market close by and selected items that looked fresh, were in season and at an inexpensive price and brought them back to the kitchen to learn to chop, prepare and plate the fresh ingredients to make a 3 course meal. Chef Jean was patient and playful with the novice cooks with virgin palates for ingredient combing on this level. We ended up with an appetizer that was roasted rhubarb, with a mirepoix and eggplant and preserved lemon sautée, sea spinach weaved with mackerel sashimi and Swiss chard stems chopped finely with a gooseberry compliment all stack bottom to top creating an impressive flavor explosion for the mouth. Our main was a soft crab tomato, mushroom based risotto with a stuffed squid with artichoke heart and mirepoix inside. A sea asparagus infused butter complimented our bread. The cheese plate was amazing and for dessert-a tart made with fresh apricots and blackberries atop a filling of hazelnut flour, butter, pistachio paste, and brown sugar in a hazelnut flour crust.
Please note that your meal will be influenced by your own dietary needs and tastes. I do not believe Chef Jean will attempt such a aggressive combination again. We were there until nearly 2:30 when class announced an end at 1:00.
I cannot encourage you enough to try this class. I could not think of any negative.

All reviews
"beginners"
"lesson"
"bastille"

Reviewed 28 May 2018

My mother and I attended this class while visiting Paris. We wanted a class that included the food market, as well as hands-on instruction, and we wanted to be able to eat the food we made. In my research I found a lot of classes that were almost twice as expensive as this one and therefore not within my budget.

This class was everything we could have hoped for and more - it was the highlight of our Paris trip! We learned about how to choose different foods at the market, how to pair foods, flavors, textures, and colors, how certain foods were used in ancient times, how to cook while being eco-friendly, and more. We made a BEAUTIFUL salad, a healthy (dairy-free) risotto, and an impressive Instagram-worthy dessert. If this class existed in every city I traveled to, I'd sign up each time. Thank you!!

Reviewed 25 March 2018

My wife and I to the "Back from the Market" class and enjoyed it very much. We met and the kitchen and then took a walk to the local market where the Chef asked us to walk around and get ideas on what we'd like to make. He explained what was in season and sent us on our way. Fifteen minutes later we met and the designated meeting spot and discussed what we found and then we went shopping.
We took all the ingredients back to the kitchen where Chef explained what we would be making and how. We then began the food preparation process. Chef explained how to hold a knife, how to peel, cut, chop and other kitchen prep basics. At the same time we were participating in the cooking process. Chef welcomed questions and answered them in detail. Our class included and appetizer, main dish and a desert.
While we ate Chef explained some of the basics on how to prepare dishes from scratch and how to make the different flavors, textures and colors work together.
My wife and I would absolutely take this (or other) class again. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Overall good experience learning to make Eclairs at the English class. We had a lovely time in a clean environment that was well organized. Our teacher was engaged and showed a keen interest. Overall, there was not enough hands-on elements as everything was pre-measured, no recipe was given, and so the learning was limited. The teacher described what to do but he did most of it himself. They didn't feel they understood how to do this again on their own which was their goal. Our children of 11 and 12 thought it was "okay" because they didn't feel they could do enough to contribute, and the end result Eclairs didn't taste very good. The adults gave it a 3/5 and the kids gave it a 2/5.