“Best means of transport within Paris but dirty and sometimes confusing”
Review of Paris Metro

and up
Paris Off-the-Beaten-Track Tour by Mercedes 280SE
Ranked #270 of 1 297 things to do in Paris
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As we had arrived with a long distance TGV train at Gare de l’Est (East railway station) it was obvious to take the Metro to our hotel (around 30 minutes).
However in my opinion one suitcase per person is the limit I would recommend. The suitcase shouldn’t be too heavy either because there are almost no escalators or lifts at the stations.

The most popular type of ticket is probably the „Carnet“, what means 10 single tickets that you buy at once. For all other types of ticket you should refer to internet sites specialized in giving advices on the most economic tickets (some with discounts for museums or attractions).

Just a warning in case you purchase the 1,2, 3 or 5 day visitor ticket: don’t forget to write your name, the date of purchase and the last day of validity on the ticket! The lady at the ticket booth didn’t tell us.
A few days later we ran into a ticket inspection when leaving a station. We were fined 35€ each because of the missing name and dates on the ticket, although I could proof that we bought the tickets ourselves!
As this ticket inspection took place at the exit to the Louvre museum it really looks like a tourist trap!

When changing Metro lines at stations often the signs to other lines are not placed very clearly: two times we went straight, having missed the branch to our connecting line.
In many stations the smell of urine is really very intense. Beggars in the trains can be annoying sometimes.

As we saw a girl being trapped between the closing doors of a train, because of her father trying to rush into a train with closing doors: never try to enter a train when you hear the really loud warning signals of the closing doors! The next metro will arrive within a few minutes so there is no need to rush.

1  Thank Bertram W
Write a ReviewReviews (2 206)
All reviews
"route"
in 59 reviews

17 - 21 of 2 206 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My family of 2 adults and 2 children bought 10 tickets to go on the metro on Mar 30 from Pont Neuf. We put our tickets through the scanner. My husband and 2 children thought they don’t need the tickets anymore and threw them in the trash. I kept mine. At Chatelet station, we changed to the 4 line to Ste. Michelle. While walking to change subway, we were stopped and asked for our tickets. Since my husband and two young children threw theirs away, they were told that they will be fined 35euro each. My ticket scanned through OK. We showed them that we have many other new tickets and they can scan them but they said we have to pay a fine now. If we don’t pay a fine, they will call US embassy and we will be fined 100Euro. The securities kept saying that this is the rule. I don’t see any of this rule noted anywhere in the travel books or on any signs in the metro station. We asked to call the police but 4 security guards came and kept harassing and yelling at us and threatening that we will charged 100 euro if we don’t pay now. I tried to explain that we are tourists and we have many unused tickets that we just bought. I tried to speak some French and they refused to speak English and refused to talk to my brother on the phone who spoke fluent French. They kept yelling at us like we are criminals and kept threatening us that we will pay a higher fine. My children were very afraid. Is this the treatment to tourists the Paris metro is encouraging? No wonder many people complains about the poor treatment they receive as tourists by French people. It is obvious that the metro encourage this type of behavior to their security guards to harass unknowing tourists to make extra income. Shame on them. I wrote in to RATP complaint website. Will have to see if they bother to correct this. I am writing this to warn others of poor service in the Paris Metro.

4  Thank namte
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My son and I were in Paris less than 24 hours. Bought pack of 10 tickets (too expensive) and were accosted upon leaving the Metro by two inspectors. We had inadvertently thrown away our tickets thinking that our trip was over. Inspector threatened to charge us 50 Euros each = 100 Euros total for failing to show ticket!! I told him that there were no signs informing us to retain our tickets. Also told him that when we purchased our tickets as new arrivals in France, no one informed us of the rules and this information is nowhere to be found on Metro website. He then threatened to call the police and told us that the police would charge us 180 Euros. I told him to go right ahead as I was ready to to battle and looked forward to a lively conversation with police who apparently don't have anything more important to do. Instead he called his supervisor who let us out! Nasty experience. I'm ready to leave France - this place is dirty, expensive and treats decent, honest new visitors to France like crap.

4  Thank sdeslippe2
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The metro stops in Paris are very conveniently located. It seems like you're never more than a five minute walk away from a stop. The system isn't particularly difficult to navigate, and books of tickets are reasonably priced. I recommend using the Metro to get around rather than paying for cabs or rideshares, if you have the chance.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I ordered Metro Carnet tickets and our round trip tickets to Versailles on line and delivered to my home by DHL. It was flawless and convenient.I did the same when we visited London in 2016.The metro is a convenient way to go around the city.We walked a lot and we used the Metro to get back to our serviced apartment on Charles Floquet.I would give a five star rating but for one incident with a very unprofessional employee of the Metro.On our first night in Paris,we used the Metro for the very first time on late Sunday night after dinner near Champ Elysses.We boarded the 6 from the Arc d’Triomph.At Kleber,a ranting and raving man without an ID badge nor a uniform,pointing fingers in our faces, forced us off the train.Four women in uniform at the platform ,who were more professional explained to us our offense.My daughter put her foot on a seat opposite her own.I paid 60 euros and demanded a receipt.We googled and found French Civilized laws that included putting your feet on a train seat is an offense.We as a family collectively and individually had travelled extensively all over the world and we all know not to mess up with our very own US laws much more someone else’s.But someone carrying out civilized laws acting out so uncivilized,so unprofessional,so savage in a public train platform seems so ironic.Such a shame.I had to sit my family down that night to not let one man and one incident define our trip to Paris.We had a good time and everyone else was pleasant.

2  Thank Ccari01