“Not what I expected”

Ranked #5 of 2 170 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This famous cathedral, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture on which construction began in the 12th century, stands on the Île de la Cité and is the symbolic heart of the city.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I thought it would be more mysterious. But my expectations come from an animated cartoon! I’ve seen many more beautiful cathedrals but this one was beautiful too.

Write a ReviewReviews (65 362)
All reviews
"gothic architecture"
in 605 reviews
"light a candle"
in 335 reviews
"the stained glass windows"
in 731 reviews
"hunchback"
in 297 reviews

1 282 - 1 286 of 65 362 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We hopped off the Big Red Bus and jumped the very long line out front with our Paris Pass. It's big with lots of small chapels around the side but, for my wife and I, it doesn't have the same charisma and emotional feel as Sacre Coeur or Sainte Chapelle. Had it not been for Victor Hugo I don't think it would be as popular an attraction. It is definitely worth a visit to say that you have been. One thing we didn't like is the noise. Tourists are walking around the place with no respect for the surroundings chatting away loudly. Once is enough for us.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I surrounded the island on a boat and later made a visit on foot. It is an impressive building and queues to get inside are moving rather quickly.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Awesomely fantastic. Arrive early if possible, line to enter can be rather long later in the morning and throughout the day.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Its hard to avoid the cathedral on the isle de St Louis- and of course why would you? But I tried to study the doors, the gargoyles and the various sly carvings that speak to an individual sculptor. It is magnificent- so take some time to see its individual major works of art and sculpture. I don't climb the steps but they say the view is worth it. I am content with other views.