All reviews hotel restaurant room was large buffet breakfast good size car park excellent restaurant desk clerk loire valley old building air conditioning local bar the main square modern rooms mini bar spent nights convenient stop small medieval town
Reviewed 30 December 2015

This was our third stay at L'Ecu de Bretagne and my sister will be staying next week!

We first visited the hotel in 2011 and enjoyed our stay. We re-visted on our way to family for Christmas and was very impressed with the improvements that have been made since then (having spoken to staff these renovations are ongoing) and promptly booked for our return trip.

We had one of the renovated rooms and it was extremely well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet - a great nights sleep. I would definitely have given a 5 if there had been a shower in the bathroom (I prefer them)!

The restaurant is charming and the food good. They also offer a good breakfast.
More importantly the staff are wonderful!!

We plan on returning as we would like to spend more time exploring the town (and it is on the way to family).

Room Tip: Ask for the superior rooms that have been renovated
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2015

Despite it being the low season (but nevertheless with reservations) we were shown two rooms (one for my wife and I and one for our two teenage children) in the older part of the hotel that where unsatisfactory - dark, drab, spartan and generally depressing. Upon learning that we would not be staying in such rooms and would find other accommodation, the younger of the two woman at the front desk immediately wanted to know what she could do to satisfy our needs. On learning of our needs we were shown recently renovated modern rooms in what appeared to be the newer wing of the hotel, which were more suited to our requirements. While we only give this hotel an average rating we would nevertheless return and do recommend a room in the "newer" section of the hotel each of which seemed to be equipped with the latest amenities and modern showers and bathrooms.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2015

It is always difficult to judge places out of season, as of course business is slower and services might be reduced.
This comfortable hotel, situated in a magic little town is on the way up. They could make the rooms a little cosier buy adding maybe an armchair, but they are nicely decorated and though the bathroom was slightly dated, it was spotless.
Good parking facilities make it perfect for a stop when travelling the area.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2015

My family and I stopped here after a long day's car ride. Let me tell you, to find a hotel tucked away in a little town square, with its own private car park is a Godsend.

Additionally, the place has a pool! Now let me tell you, finding an outdoor pool in France (in August) in your hotel is like finding the keys to Heaven. Forget about the hotel. Go for the pool.

Want more reasons to stay? The place has air conditioning in the rooms. I say no more. True, the rooms are sparsely decorated and not much to look at, but you will be surprised how wonderful they are when it is 35 degrees C outside and you are lying on your bed cooling off at 20 degrees C.

I did not eat there, but you are smack in the middle of the loveliest little town. Once dusk approaches, you will want to do a little promenade, grab a beer at a local bistro the choose from the numerous little restaurants sprinkled throughout the place.

If you are driving either to or from the UK en route to somewhere in the south of France, book this place for your overnight stay, especially if you are traveling during the summer months.

It is very quiet. It is not expensive, and believe me, one thing that it offers is priceless: you will stay cool......during the day in the pool and at night in your aircon room.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2015

This was our second stay and, as with our first stay we were not disappointed. We arrived at lunchtime and had immediate access to our room and this was clearly not a problem to the very helpful reception staff. We had all our meals in the hotel and staff are without exception helpful. Thank you.....we will return

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple