“Closed kitchen at lunch time?!”

Banyan Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #467 of 2 470 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$10 - US$33
Description: A stylish and genuine bar serving beautiful food and drink all day long in the Corn Exchange.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Decided to visit Banyan today and take the opportunity of the great seating area outside. It was around 1:15pm, we found a table and sat down, we were not acknowledged by a single member of staff until I asked one of the waitresses (whom may have been some sort of management as she had an ear piece on?) for menus. She just handed us the menus and walked off. We moved tables to a shaded area and the table was filthy, all previous items had been removed and the table had been vacant since we arrived around 10 minutes prior. We asked the same member of staff to clean the table, to which she did and once again just walked off and didn’t ask whether we wanted a drink or to order. We then managed to get the attention of another member of staff and asked whether we could order some food, she informed us that the kitchen was closed as they had too many orders (why give us the menus in the first place?!) - the place wasn’t even full and it was half 1 in the afternoon. Not sure how this is even possible - why have the amount of tables if you can’t cater for that “many” people. Such a shame as this is our usual go to place for a drink outside. The staff seemed disinterested and for the closure of the kitchen at lunch time I think I will find elsewhere to go, like we did today.

1  Thank tomath1
BanyanMCR, Manager at Banyan Bar & Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Tomath1,

Thank you for feedback about your recent visit.
We pride ourselves on giving the best service and giving our guests a wonderful experience, so it is unfortunate that you appear to not have received this.
It seems to have been a miscommunication, as we don't close the kitchen unless there is a major incident. It appears to have been an issue of food delays.
However we would like to look into this further, so if would very helpful if you could email us at Managers@banyanmanchester.co.uk, with a little more information about the members of staff that looked after you on your visit.

The Banyan Management Team

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

So I decided to take my girlfriend for breakfast this morning as a start to her birthday. As we wanted to dine outside I was asked to hand over my credit card which was taken away (out of my sight, which banks and fraud prevention experts strongly advise against) and apparently locked away in a box.

At first I didn’t have too much of an issue with this as I can imagine people walking away without paying needs to be combated. It was only when I realised that I was the only diner present who’d been asked to do this.

It may be because I look quite young for my 37 years or maybe the waiter noticed my Hugo Boss watch, Tommy Hilfiger shirt and my girlfriends Prada bag and he decided he wanted to skim my card.

If it’s policy, make it a policy for all and stop with the discrimination. Had it not been a birthday I could quite easily have caused a scene and upset all of the other diners.

The ONLY thing I enjoyed was the look on the staff members faces when the middle aged couple sat two tables away disappeared without paying.

I strongly recommend eating elsewhere when in Manchester and if there are any suspicious transactions on my statement this month I will know exactly where the culprit works and a further review will follow.

1  Thank Damian_Col
BanyanMCR, Manager at Banyan Bar & Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Damian_Col,

Thank you for you feedback about your recent visit and bringing to our attention a potential training need.

As a business we are committed and pride ourselves on eliminating discrimination and promoting equality in our policies and in our dealings with our staff and customers. We are committed to all aspects of equality and have published equality objectives covering all equality strands with in our staff hand books.

In regards to having your card taken at the start of your visit. This is company policy when dining outside and I assure you this happens on all tables.

We use the industry leading and PCI accredited system CardSafe to ensure you feel at ease when setting a tab up.

"The CardsSafe system is specifically designed to safely retain customer credit/debit cards or a piece of ID, while the card holder “runs a tab”. CardsSafe is also perfect for situations where a customer tries out a product or service for a period before returning this or settling. CardsSafe has now revolutionized the way you manage customer “tabs” in your premises"

For further information and peace of mind do not hesitate to visit https://cardssafe.com/

Team Banyan

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited for a family birthday and the food was a little bit disappointing for the price - not terrible, but nothing to recommend either. The service from our waitress Rebecca was fantastic though she was friendly, professional and attentive throughout.

3  Thank catherine m
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived at Banyan to have few drinks and some food making the most of the good weather, however we waited at the door to get a table with staff passing by not paying any attention. Once at the table, this was dirty and none came to clean it, at the same time waiting staff all over the place having a laugh, whilst we and other people were waiting. We finally other, 2 coffee, water and a burger, to our disappointment food came first, then after asking we got the coffee which was cold. On top of this the waitress brought the glasses for the water grabbing them with their fingers inside (not very higenic), on her defence she was probably the only one who seemed to be working. Quite upset after wasting the precious sunny weather at this terrace, highly not recommended.

1  Thank Wissam D

Hi Wissam D,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we are sorry that your visit did not live up to your exceptions.
We pride ourselves in giving the best service and it's disappointing to hear that is not what you received so it would be great if you could email managers@banyanmanchester.co.uk with a little bit more information; what day/time you visited, where you sat and who your server was.

Look forward to hearing from you.

The Banyan Team

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Credit where Credit is due. Really busy night but food came in good time was delicious and waitress Charlie Dixon was 5 Star - magic memory woman. Highly recommend if in Manchester.

Hi kprafferty,

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate everything that comes back to us. It's good to hear that Charlie looked after you so well, and her memory skills really are incredible.
Make sure you come and visit us again soon.
The Banyan Team