“Nice place to work”

Fig and Sparrow
Ranked #7 of 148 Quick Bites in Manchester
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Independent design store and coffee house serving speciality coffee, our house blend is Climpson and Son's Estate blend. We have a single origin brew menu serving V60, Chemex and Aeropress. We have freshly, made to order, sandwiches (served on artisan breads by Trove Bakery) and salads as well as a hearty fresh soup made by local chefs, Seasons Eatings.
Reviewed 1 September 2018

Great little space to catch up on work and have a coffee as there are charger plugs near a lot of tables and there is wifi. It's a quiet space with good music for concentration too. The coffee is nice and looks great in the yellow and red mugs. Some negatives of this coffee shop are the cakes and staff. The cake is very overpriced for a pretty average (and small) slice of cake and staff have been quite rude and belligerent on more than one occasion.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

A pleasant retreat in the slightly dodgy if not downright edgy Oldham Street. A perfect flat white beautifully served with designer froth on top. Accompanied by a rich indulgent millionaire’s caramel shortbread. All politely and efficiently served by female waiting staff. Newspapers to hand for those able to stay for longer than just a pit stop.

1  Thank futtock21
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Went there for breakfast. They have tasty sandwitches and good coffee. My favorite bread for sandwitch was sourdough wit figs and walnut. Would defintely go there again.

1  Thank FlorinSt
Reviewed 3 August 2018

I've passed the Fig and Sparrow many times before, yesterday I was tempted to try this place out. I was looking for a change & wanted to give the place a go. When I arrived I passed a waitress & said 'Hello' as you do, she replied with a strange grin, a look of - I'm from London we don't say Hello here type look. I proceeded inside & stood & the main counter, I thought that she may of not heard me or she was busy whether at a table or in her own mind at the time. I was browsing at the main menu board right on the main wall, it was quite busy & I was with my dog. I wanted to rest & sit down. My dyslexia makes it sometimes difficult for me to read & I asked if there was a menu I could hold & browse at whilst I sat down. The young boy at the counter replied quite abruptly 'no, that's the menu there' pointing at the huge one which I was already looking at on the wall. I asked for the manager & was informed she was on holiday. I felt awkward & embarrassed, as a man whom has mental health condition, I was finding it a testing place to be in so I walked out. As I did I looked back & they where pulling faces at my presence & laughing at me. I walked back into cafe & went to main counter to another young lady (assistant manager) who never informed me of this until I was just leaving. As I was talking to her about how uncomfortable I'd felt she was talking & constantly laughing in my face, I was in front of a lot of customers & she was asking me 'what the problem was?' I asked over why she was laughing at me & she shared I'd made her feel nervous & that she felt to nervous to share until then that she was the assistant manager. I took relevant details & decided to leave. For the prices & the complete lack of respect this place could do with a big dollop of care & love. If the staff were polite & being non judgmental it would be most welcome in my personal opinion. People who are bullet-proof, cold hearted & don't like to communicate with others & if you like to be treated depending on how you look superficially this is a super place for you. It's a shame as the staff currently working there have no manners, care or consideration of others unless you except them for what they are & put up with such a low standard of service & are happy to receive an unwelcoming bitter taste, upon arrival. Very Disappointing!! I'm awaiting to speak to manager who knows how this will go I will respond here the outcome.

10  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 1 July 2018

I had a cold brewed coffee here, which was made on site, and not served in a bottle. Good flavour and very refreshing on a hot day. Recommended.

Date of visit: July 2018