“Back again.”

Ashworth Barracks
Ranked #1 of 59 things to do in Doncaster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The charitable aims of the Victoria Cross Trust who own the museum,fall into 2 main categories, firstly to restore the final resting places of VC recipients not in the care of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Secondly to educate the public as their lives and citation details ( why they were awarded a VC). The creation of a museum meets our second charitable aim and income from the museum will cover the first.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After visiting in December 17 and having a great time with two of my grandsons I just had to return with my other grandchildren ( two girls 10and 11 and two boys 7 and 9) I can't praise the guides at Ashworth highly enough, he involved them at every stage, they enjoyed it that much they want to go again. This is a really must do museum who's profit helps to restore and maintain the graves of all recipients of the Victoria cross. Don't hesitate visit.

2  Thank Paul P
"body armour"
"volunteer guides"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have spent a lot of time researching my family tree over the last few years and have recently decided to study the military history of my ancestors in more detail. Visiting Ashworth Barracks was so informative, putting information I had uncovered about such people as my two grandfathers and my father and mother into context. The displays are so interesting and beautifully presented. Steve and Paul, our guides were very knowledgable and their very relaxed way of putting information across made the afternoon so enjoyable. I can feel another visit coming on when I want to pick out certain displays and study them in more depth. Thank you.

1  Thank Jan4142
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I visited the barracks with two of my grandchildren well worth a visit very interesting and informative special mention to Mick Brand who was first class

1  Thank budswin
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

What a wonderful place to visit, as ex military it was a great reminder of when I was a soldier,with weapons and tanks, lots of military memorabilia, and life in the trenches, and a wonderful experience for children of all ages. And there is a tea room, very nice too.

1  Thank billweir16
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

as you approach the museum you dont quite realise the size and amount of information you are going to be presented with, this is not a free walk round museum but a well informed guided tour, giving you a total insite to what the Ashworth barracks is all about (victoria cross trust), Paul our guide (very good) and was willing to part with a lot of information, the average tour lasts approximatly 2 hour but dont forget to visit the poppy garden at the side of the museum along with the vechiles

2  Thank ddodd2301