“A fantastic visit to the past!”

Black Country Living Museum
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Dudley
More attraction details
Owner description: Covering 26 acres of former industrial land, Black Country Living Museum is uniquely placed to tell the story of the creation of the world’s first industrial landscape. Over fifty authentic shops, houses and workshops have been carefully reconstructed to preserve the character of the region when its manufacturers bought worldwide fame to Black Country Towns. Take a trip on the tram to explore the canal-side village, where you can meet and chat to the costumed characters. Explore the underground mine and experience the authentic sights, sounds, smells and tastes from the past.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We visited here on Easter Sunday, the weather could have been better but our day was still great. This is quite a large place all dedicated to the past with staff dressed up for the occasion and all acting the part. We paid with Tesco clubcard so the cost was not an issue although I do feel the return ticket on full priced entry is well worth it if you live nearby. Disabled access is quite good with ramps available on request outside many of the buildings and an accessible tram can also be requested. We did not enter the underground mine which is available as we had our toddler daughter with us and she is too young (over 5's only I think) but it did seem popular. We had fish and chips at £6.90 each from Hobbs and Sons, these were very good indeed, we got there for the 11.30 opening so only had to queue for around 15 minutes ( I do advise this as the queue later seemed really long and it is not like your normal fast food chippy) the only downside was that I could not get a small chips for our little one as this only came with the family meal deal, she had to share ours as I wasn't gong to pay for a normal size at £2.50 when I knew she wouldn't eat them. The new playground was great and although the slide, swings and horse are up some steps I did notice a roundabout at the bottom that was adapted for a wheelchair user. Parking is £3.50 (blue badge holders are free), you pay inside via a machine that takes coins or notes and dispenses change as well as the token needed to exit. All in all a fantastic family day out with lots to do for all!

Date of experience: April 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (4 669)
All reviews
"all ages"
in 267 reviews

596 - 600 of 4 669 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Great day out, we went down the pit to see what life was like then. We went as a foursome two adults and two teenage boys. We all found it great fun especially the boys trying to work out what the people were saying, I'd worked with people from the black country so had to translate. Lol.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Fantastic place for a day out so much to see. The 40's weekend was excellent with lots of vintage stalls

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had a really good visit to the museum. Whilst not as big as Beamish Museum it was full of great buildings, filled with the old and memorable, and the team on site were knowlegable about each property. Expertly rebuilt to make a little village it was great to walk round. However Easter Sunday visit and it seemed all the staff had to go to church as they kept closing the houses!!! What really appalled us however was the rather dismal and very over priced food served in the Institute. There is taking the mickey and really taking the mickey. £7.50 for a pie with a spoonful of mash, £2.50 for a bottle of drink. My meal was savoury mince with tatties in a yorkshire pudding. I received 3 potatoes, a ladel of mince and two little quarters of a yorkshire pud. At over £7.50 it was little more than a childs portion. Whilst you expect to pay a little more than normal at attractions you also expect some food in return and this was just no where near the quality for the price. Had we known how bad we would have brought a picnic like we normally would do. The queue for the chip shops were huge so we avoided them but might have faired better than the Institute. Such a shame as the visit itself was enjoyable.