“First dinner in the UK”
Review of The Star & Garter

The Star & Garter
Ranked #5 of 18 Nightlife in Leamington Spa
Reviewed 10 June 2017

This place was fantastic. I just recently moved to Leamington from Canada and was looking for some food and drink shortly after landing in town. It was great. The service and the food were great! The servers were friendly and helpful. They really made me feel welcome. I had tapas and a couple pints. Very tasty and delicious. I actually went there a second time a few nights later. Had the fish tapas this time. This was the first time I've had mackerel pate. Where has this been my whole life??? Anyways, i highly recommend this place!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"picky"
"customers"

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

We've been to The Star and Garter on numerous occasions and gave never been disappointed whether the visit was just for drinks, light meals or Sunday lunch.
The food has always been of the highest quality and with a very wide choice available. The Sunday lunch is renowned and the staff always come back to offer seconds!!

The staff are The Star and Garter's greatest strength. A warm welcome is always assured and the staff are so friendly, courteous and professional.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Had a meal here to celebrate my nephew's birthday. Not local as visiting for a family party the following evening though this pub was recommended by a local. Glad we booked as a busy Friday night but prompt service as soon as we arrived. Menu looked good and enough choice for everyone even the picky eaters! Chose a cheapish wine but should maybe have paid a bit more - wine was okay but not the best I have had. Meals were well presented and every dish went down well with our group. Stayed on for more drinks after the meal as met other family members later - lovely evening all round!

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

This is where we had our first date a year ago so we thought we'd return to the scene of the crime for a early week meal out. I ordered a salad which was billed as "chicken and spring vegetables with harissa" - Cost £14.95. What arrived was chicken mixed in with a bag of salad with harrissa (a spicy sauce). When asked, I explained to the waiter that I was surprised that there was nothing else in there and I was told there was grated cabbage and carrots!!....The waiter offered to take it away, I said no as I didn't really see the point in swapping it for anything else.My boyfriend had a burger which was ok. To fill my unsatisfied appetite I ordered a dessert which was burnt and dried out. Unfortunately this is a common "gastro" pub experience these days and the star and garter, like so many others is trading (and charging) on its pretentiousness but not really knowing what it is trying to achieve in satisfying its customers. I hope this trend runs out of steam soon. AVOID the food (the beer is fine but expensive).

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

First time visit. Nice staff and being an old haunt brought back some memories of pre-refurb nostalgia. However - the food? Simply not up to scratch. A starter of thinly sliced beef that was chewy and had some salad leaves dumped on it. A mains of lamb steak (which to be fair was tender) dumped on top of lemon rice which itself was dumped on salad leaves. A weird combination and way of presenting food. The pudding of lemon steamed pudding which was stodgy. It all seemed a bit experimental which just didnt work. Sorry