We were a group of 12 Trefoil Girlguiding members visiting Lancashire for our AGM and staying for a week's holiday in Kingfisher Lodge, self catering. The standard of the fittings was so high - absolutely everything you could want was provided, and the setting, with views over to Morecambe Bay, quite stunning. The house was very comfortable with nearly all rooms en suite and was designed by the owners to make it easy to live in. We could walk from the Lodge, the M6 was near enough to make longer journeys simple and there are lots of things to do in the area. The owners themselves could not have been more helpful and the Lodge was spotlessly clean on arrival. Anyone who is posting a negative review is definitely not reporting truthfully as we saw the detailed cleaning and checking undertaken when another cottage was vacated near us. We would recommend this unreservedly and feel that anyone going there will not fail to appreciate the hard work put in to make these cottages so attractive and comfortable. Pam Shaw, Trefoil County Secretary, Norfolk Girlguiding
13 of us stayed in the beautiful Woodpecker cottage for a fabulous long w/e. It was very relaxing and Sue and Terry could not do enough for us. They provided details of where to go in the area and we also had a beautician sent to the property for a day of pampering.
I can't wait to go back again!
Thanks again Sue!
I stayed at Woodpecker cottage, Barnacre, near Preston and was disappointed. The property has 5 stars but as someone who has stayed in many self-catering properties I feel it was more 3/4 stars.
Some warnings for anyone thinking of booking:
1. It is very noisy. Outside the noise from the M6 is quite bad but inside there are real issues. The hot water system has a pump which is so loud it sounds as if a train is coming through the wall. This is bad enough during the day but if someone runs water through the night it is very alarming.
2. Although advertised as having a garden this was a waste, weed-ridden piece of ground.There is only decking. There is nowhere for children to play. There is a field outside the house but as the area has many deer I would not let children play where there might be ticks.
3. The hot water system is inadequate. If someone is having a shower and another person runs water then the shower drys up -not very satisfactory when you are in the middle of washing your hair!
4. There is an Aga cooker in the open plan living area. As there is no electric cooker, the Aga was still belting out heat in the middle of summer. First thing in the morning before the windows were open it was unbearable.
5. There were insufficient easy chairs for our party.
6. The single bedroom is a converted cupboard. This might be suitable for a small child but hopeless for an adult.
7. There are no locks on any internal doors. Even the communal toilet in the utilty room had no lock!
On a positive note it is a lovely area for a holiday!