“Much improved”

Bar Bodega
Ranked #19 of 294 Restaurants in Watford
Price range: US$16 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Bar Bodega is the perfect haven for every over-25 who just can't find a decent bar. Our feel is 1920's speakeasy meets jazz club with heavy drapes and deep leather sofas to offer a welcome that's akin to a long hot bath after a rough day. Discover a rare find of mature drinkers and enjoy chilled-out evenings of table service and conversation against a background of cool nu-jazz - played at just the right volume. Come in, relax and choose a bottle from the extensive wine list or select a specialty beer, and you'll find it's midnight before you know it. We very much hope to see you soon. Cheers!
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

As regulars at bar Bodega we came in for the first Sunday lunch of the season last week and it was seriously poor and very disappointing . It was as bad as the other reviewers for the 30th September have said and some. We were not intending to come back soon at all for food. However we were assured by the new, and in my view, excellent manager Freddie that it would be a completely different experience and he was right. The food was really excellent and piping hot - couldn’t fault it. Well Done for pulling it back bar Bodega!

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

I have been to Bodega for both food and drinks previously, and I have always recommended it to people who are in the area. I don’t know what has happened, but today I had quite possibly the worst dining experience of all time. The menu was read out to us from a note pad, with no descriptions of the starters, no prices, and no mention of the offers that were in place. The service was awful, and when our food finally arrived it was cold. Our side orders were missed off, we weren’t given side plates for our starters, we had to get up and find the salt and pepper because the waitress was so slow, and they did not clear away the plates after we had all finished eating. The manager was a young boy who was clearly not capable of managing a restaurant. He asked us if everything was okay, and when we said how poor everything had been he just said ‘okay’ with no apology. I was shocked, and disappointed that this restaurant has been absolutely ruined.

MattP3920, General Manager at Bar Bodega, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Dear Toby
Thank you for your feed back. I'm sorry your experience was not a good one, I understand that you experienced a complete breakdown in service and kitchen standards on Sunday, and you must know that this is not how we usually operate. Please contact me at your convenience where I can discuss this further with you.

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

Having been to bodegas for drinks several
Times (which I would recommend), we decided to go for a Sunday roast. Our waitress told us they didn’t have any menus and had to tell us the whole menu from her notepad. The staff had no idea what the menu was, prawns for starter were described as “prawns in a sauce”.
It took over an hour to get our food, which was luke warm. Our side of pigs in blankets were dropped over an elderly couple sat next to us. We then didn’t receive an apology or even a replacement. When the new manager came to finally take our plates, we were finally asked how our meal was. We told him it wasn’t great for him to not even apologies and just say “oh right”. We finally received our bill with pigs in blankets still on it. The waiter happily took of all food from our bill and actually laughed when I said how bad the food was. The response was, “god it did sound sh*t”. I have honestly never had such bad customer service, we actually found it hilarious after initially being frustrated. This place is now so poorly managed the staff have no idea how to cope with service. All staff need hospitality training. Would never recommend this restaurant again.

1  Thank Jennie P

Dear Jennie

Reviewed 16 September 2018

We had friends staying with us and were going to The Comedy Loft so we went to Bodegas for an early dinner before. Due to the excellent reviews and the boys love for burgers we decided to come to Bodegas. I had also come here with a group of people for a Christmas dinner a couple of years ago, so I was expecting great things again. The staff sat us down at 5pm and assisted us with the menu (which is a little complex). I didn't particularly enjoy the 'tick' system where you choose what you want - felt a little like a children's party. We were the only ones in the restaurant and had to wait over an hour for any food to show up. I had ordered the chicken burger with lots of added extras (just minus the bun). My plate showed up with some breaded chicken (McDonalds like), fried onions on top (which was supposed to be a caramelised onion chutney) with cold latice chips sat next to it. Imagine how appealing that plate looked - worse than something you might order at a festival. I had ordered salad, vegetables and some shredded duck as added extras but these were nowhere to be seen. When I asked the waiter if maybe these things came separately and were on their way perhaps, he didn't know. He had no idea what the meals were supposed to look like. He offered one of the guys in our group a plate stating that it was duck when in fact it was pulled pork. It turns out that this guy was the manager - I couldn't believe how little the MANAGER knew about the menu. The hostess came over to apologise and to slag off the new chef in the kitchen (who 'didn't have a clue what he was doing') which was highly unprofessional. I sent my food back (have never done this in my life) and decided that they wouldn't be able to salvage it so chose not to have anything at all - luckily I had time to pop into Nando's before the comedy show started. In total we sent two meals back (burger was so over cooked you couldn't even bite it - brick like). They tried to get us to pay but after a very easy argument they only made us pay for drinks (rightfully so). The chefs didn't know what they were doing, the hostess unprofessionally slagged off her 'team' and the 'manager' didn't even know what the plates should look like. Having worked in this industry for years, I understand the pressures of hospitality but this whole situation was unacceptable on so many levels. Won't be coming back for food and aside from all of this, it's SO over priced.

3  Thank michael l

Dear Michael
Thank you for your feed back. I'm sorry your experience was not a good one and you must know that this is not how we usually operate. Please contact me at your convenience where I can discuss this further with you.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Chose here because the menu looked great in a tapas influenced style.

When we ordered the drinks they didn't have half of the ones we wanted. Once we were sat down we noticed the atmosphere was great nice music and a cosy bustly sort of place. The food however was only OK, had several dishes from the tapas menu, the chorizo was fairly dry it should be either sticky or in a sauce, the prawns weren't really seasoned or flavoured and lacked quantity for the money we paid. The other choices were OK.

I'd definitely come here for drinks again and maybe a dish of two for a snack but not for a main meal.