“Apart from enthusiastic service ..... GHASTLY!!!”

Marlborough Gate Bistro at Milton Keynes Theatre
Ranked #409 of 607 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

It is a long time since I have eaten at a “restaurant “ which has such a poor menu.

When we were there, at 5pm for a pre-opera supper, half the menu wasn’t available.

We ordered from the other half and it’s safe to say that every dish we had was dreadful.

The starters were bulked out with unimaginably tasteless and generally inedible “focaccia” which, to be fair, drew the attention away from the remarkably tasteless and severely overcooked chicken skewers.

The mains were little different .....

I could have soled my shoe with the burger ... except it wasn’t quite big enough.

The salmon was cooked to the point of being dry and tasteless.

The salads were utterly dreary.

Thank goodness the waitresses were cheerful and enthusiastic.

Not a chance of me ever going back for more.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

I suspect they have "got their act together" since the time of the earlier poor reviews on here.

It's a small but pleasant little eating space, there were about six couples when we were there. There is a limited menu but sufficient choice.

We were given a friendly greeting when we arrived for our 6pm booking. Our drinks and food order was taken fairly quickly. I agree with an earlier reviewer who said their wine prices seem unduly high - although I think that may be an Ambassador Theatre policy as we saw the same at Aylesbury.

Now it's true there was then a delay in food arriving but it made for a leisurely meal and we finished our two courses well before the performance started so we found this perfect. A three course meal probably would have been a push in the time. But with ice cream in the interval we were fine!

The food was very good and we couldn't find any fault. We'll certainly consider a return visit next time we're going to a show there.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

Having had a disappointing meal here a while back we ventured there once more as part of a theatre deal. We had a set two-course menu and have to say that things were much better. Food was plentiful and hot and service was good. Being in the theatre foyer it can get a bit chilly in winter so be prepared to wrap up.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Are you looking for an elegant, sophisticated, yet charming night out? Well, this is the place for you. I took my mother and father to the Murder Mystery night in association with 'Little Chico Productions'. The performance was fabulous and the meal was faultless. The homemade parsnip soup was to die for, the pork belly was so succulent with a beautiful crunchy glaze on top and the pear and chocolate strudel was delightfully crisp and naughty. I will be returning for future events held at this establishment and I would highly recommend it to others. Bravo indeed!

Reviewed 25 November 2017

A pre-performance meal here can be a challenge, because the kitchen has clearly not been sized to meet potential demand, which is unfair on the customers and also the staff. As a result the menu is quite limited and the wine prices too high. But we had excellent service from friendly staff, coping heroically with inadequate facitilities and the dishes that the party chose were simple, but really good. A quinotto/risotto was well made and offered a good vegetarian choice; sausages and mash had good meat and first-rate mashed potato. Sounds simple but not always well-done. The theatre, its customers and the staff all deserve something more adequate than this, in an immdeiate area which is not over-endowed with places to eat offering anything better than high street routine.

2  Thank Michael L