“I loved my after work dinner!”
Review of Coal Grill & Bar

Coal Grill & Bar
Ranked #104 of 607 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I absolutely loved the deep fried Calamari here, one my top places for it now and the warm Mediterranean Salad was nice with delicious roast peppers. The service from my waiter Shah was very friendly, he was happy to consult me on my choice when I was feeling indecisive. The food was fresh and arrived quickly. Great experience.

Coal M, Manager at Coal Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

So happy to hear we are in your top list :)

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We had a great tasty meal with excellent service from Shah who is a Bar Supervisor. Shah was friendly and helpful without being intrusive.

Coal M, General Manager at Coal Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Thanks for sharing your great experience with us

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Great food, I had the chicken Eldorado which was superb and followed it with a coal mess which was lovely.

Glad you enjoyed the food :)

See you soon

Reviewed 17 June 2018

This restaurant looks appealing, and has a good variety of options on the menu. We should have been warned when we were told there was a 30 minute wait for the table, even though lots of tables were empty! We waited outside, and were eventually seated though the waiter was surprised we were waiting and didn't know we had been told to!
The starters were ok but nothing to write home about. The mains - well, disappointing doesn't begin to cover it. One well done steak - inedibly dry and unable to cut even with a steak knife. One fahitas - too spicy and tortillas not delivered until I asked and then the waiter said my fahitas and sides had been given to a different customer, by which time my meat was going cold. The best bit was the sauteed mushroom/onion combo, which was delicious but a very small quantity. We won't be going back...

Coal M, Manager at Coal Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Hi there,

First of all let me apologize! We are really sad to hear about your negative experience ad we appreciate you are sharing it with us.
We’re normally known for our exceptional attention to detail, and we regret that we missed the mark.
If you would like to discuss further details please email us on email address below-
miltonkeynes@coalgrillandbar.co.uk

Kind regards,
Management team

Reviewed 14 June 2018

What a big shame; a while ago we couldn't get in this place it was so busy so we booked this time and had high hopes of a great meal.
First impression, a sullen waitress who seated us and didn't offer drinks. The order was taken quite swiftly by the friendly manager and fairly soon drinks arrived along with a very small portion of Nachos for two, no way worth the £8 or £9 it cost.
The steaks arrived, ordered medium but my husband's steak when he cut into it was rare. The waitress came over and when pointing out very politely to her that it was undercooked she proceeded to take out her mobile phone, stand there and Google a photo of a medium cooked steak, plonk the phone on the table, point to the picture and say that the steak on the plate was cooked correctly. To say we were flabbergasted would be an understatement, you couldn't make this up! We have eaten enough steaks in our now middle aged lifetime so far to know what a medium steak should be. She offered for it to be cooked again or to have something else but by this time my husband was quietly fuming and declined the offer of another meal and asked her to take the plate away. On the upside, my steak was ok but again, for a hefty £18 I would have expected more on my plate than an average steak, a handful of chips and a small pile of fried onion.
In fairness, the manager came across and really tried his best to put the situation right but the damage was well and truly done so we paid and left. The bill was adjusted accordingly and the service charge was removed as requested.
Sadly we won't be returning, not so much because of the ridiculous mobile phone shenanigans but because we are pretty much sick to death of these chain restaurants charging way too much for relatively small portions of food and often indifferent service. They are all the same now, Café Rouge, Ask, Bella Italia.... its time these chains woke up to real food, proper decent service at reasonable prices. People vote with their feet (and wallets).....