“Improvement needed”

The Caldecotte, Pub & Grill
Ranked #94 of 582 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Caldecotte Pub and Grill sits within a charming, picturesque surrounding, overlooking the stunning Caldecotte lake just outside the wonderful town of Milton Keynes. Whether it be a special occasion, weekend treat or simply a break from the mid-week cooking, we’re the perfect venue to enjoy a delicious meal whomever the company may be. From fine wines, champagne and fizz to quality craft beer, house cocktails and our brimming gin emporium - our bar has a tipple to suit all tastes. So join us today to enjoy good times with friends and family.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A group of us has visited this venue on a number of occasions in the last few years. We have always been impressed with both the Premier Inn facilities and the quality and value for money meals offered by the restaurant. On our visit over the Easter weekend Premier Inn lived up to expectations as usual. Sadly the same couldn’t be said for the restaurant, now owned by Greene King.
Breakfast was chaotic. There was no butter, the hot water urn ran dry, the toasters were slow leading to queues, the fresh fruit bowl needed replenishing, cutlery could have been cleaner etc, etc. The “unlimited”, cooked to order, hot breakfast was a joke. It was barely warm, served on cold plates, and the portion size would have been more appropriate for a small child.
The evening meals were okay but nothing special. The menu choice lacked the range of the previous owners, and needs improving by the addition of some basic favourites.
The waitress staff were doing their best to keep the customers happy, but were needing to apologise all too often for one thing after another. Chloe, in particular was a breath of fresh air, always smiling, always cheerful, and she is a credit to the organisation.
The manager explained to us in some detail that they were still having teething troubles in getting the menus and organisation right, but the feedback from the Premier Inn reception staff was that complaints from residents were plentiful, particularly regarding the quality of breakfast. We witnessed other disgruntled residents complaining during our stay.
We will be returning to this venue later in the year, because we like the location and surrounding area, but we will be hoping for considerable all round improvement from the Caldecott Arms. Currently they are letting the Premier Inn brand down.

Brent C, General Manager at The Caldecotte, Pub & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi, Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. We are pleased to hear that Chloe looked after you so well. In respect of breakfast, I am extremely saddened by your poor experience and going forward, will be placing a heightened focus on our offering. I would welcome any suggestions to 6290@greeneking.co.uk.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Was pleasantly surprised when I took Mum to the recently refurbished Caldecotte. Gone were the sticky greasy tables and dated decor. Now fresh and light with a good menu and service. Our waitress Veronica was pleasant and very good at her job. 10/10 for her service. Will most certainly return with my family very soon.

Many thanks for the fantastic 5* review! As a brand new venture, we really want to be known for providing a fantastic experience for our guests and going above and beyond for our guests. We are pleased to hear that you found the food and the service to be so fantastic and we will pass your comments to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Brilliant service. Chris served us and we couldn't have asked for better service. Nothing was too much trouble. We were informed how long the meal would be and it was well worth waiting for. Well done

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just got home from a lovely meal at The Caldecotte. Seven of us, all enjoyed our food. Excellent prompt service. Our waiter Mark was outstanding. Extremely polite and funny too. We had a fantastic time. Thank you.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

From the website this Restaurant looked great and we had high expectations, however these were definitely not met.

On 3rd March a group of gymnasts, coaches & parents travelled up to Milton Keynes to stay the night in preparation for a National final competition the following day.

We had booked a table for 14 of us for 7.30pm, we had arrived at the Premier in earlier than expected so decided to make our way to the bar and have a drink before we got seated.

I ordered upon arrival a few soft drinks and took them over to one of the bar tables. After realising it was cocktail hour I sent my 22 year old daughter over to the bar to get me a Moijto.

Upon asking for the drink at the bar, a bartender asked for her ID however realising she had forgotten it she came back over to the table and sent me up to get the drink.

As soon as I came to the bar, the member of staff turned to me and said, ‘If we see that girl drinking the drink we will take it away’. I was immediately taken back by the rudeness from the staff member later realising he was the General Manager I was appalled that he spoken to me in that manner. I responded saying that she was my daughter and in fact she was 22 however the drink was for me not for her. He then repeated himself 3 to 4 times with the same statement.

After finally receiving my drink after waiting for about 15 minutes I returned to the table.

About 10 minutes passed and I had noticed that the staff were constantly walking past checking that it wasn’t my daughter drinking the drink which I felt was very invasive.

After about 20 minutes the General Manager Brent Chadwell approached our table and rudely interrupted our conversations. He then claimed that my daughter had been ‘seen’ by Staff and that he had ‘checked’ CCTV and she had been seen drinking the cocktail. During this time my Daughter had her back facing towards me and was speaking to one of the children drinking her peach iced tea which was in a completely different glass.

Brent then caused my daughter to turn around and then accused her of drinking the drink without any real evidence and refused to show me the CCTV to prove that this had happened. My daughter categorically hadn’t even drunk the drink.

He then turned to me and said ‘your clearly not drinking the drink as you’ve got a coke.’ Which I then responded that I have purchased two drinks, one a soft drink to cure my thirst after a long drive and one because it was cocktail hour.

I then asked him to show me the CCTV which he then responded he was ‘too busy’ as it was a Saturday night and that we would have to email the head office to get the CCTV sent to us.

After such an appalling evening we then asked him to bring us the details required to gather the CCTV evidence and also contact details of the head office however this wasn’t brought to us but left on the front desk after he left at 9pm. (clearly a busy Saturday night!)

We then emailed via the email on the website to make a formal complaint on 4th March and are still yet to receive a response nearly 4 weeks later. I had commented on their reviews via Facebook where they asked me to send a private message which I refused to do as I had already sent an email and they should have responded to that.

I am disgusted that a company would allow for this behaviour to happen by their General Manager and for their complaints procedure to that poor that they haven’t even acknowledged or responded to my email.

I look forward to receiving a formal apology from the Manager after he looks over the apparent CCTV footage and realises that he was sadly mistaken and his actions were uncalled for.

1  Thank Georgie M