“Jools Holland's Rhythm and Blues Orchestra”
Review of The Anvil

The Anvil
Ranked #4 of 45 things to do in Basingstoke
More attraction details
Owner description: The Anvil is one of Hampshire’s largest entertainment venues and offers a wide range of entertainment for all ages including stand-up comedy, theatre, ballet & opera, classical music, pop concerts and pantomime. This year we’ve welcomed top class performers including Lee Evans, Boy George and Billy Ocean and also had the pleasure of hosting one-off events such as the last UK concert appearance of the great pianist Alfred Brendel.
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

As a wheelchair user going to the Anvil was somewhere new for me. I was surprised at how accessible it was. There's a lift from the car park to near the enterance. Once inside it's all on one level. There's a wheelchair accessible (not a RADAR KEY) and a place to buy drinks. The doors into the auditorium are quiet heavy, but the staff will open then. The wheelchair spaces are 5 rows from the front so no neck bending to see the stage. We had a great time. I would definitely ho there again.

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Had a fantastic night at The Anvil seeing Anastacia :)

The theatre is fantastic, really clean, staff really helpful and seating with great view of the stage. We were on one side of the circle and had a great view :)

The security last night was fantastic and the staff were very safety conscious!

Anastacia was absolutely brilliant, great atmosphere and audience participation!

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

My top tip for the Anvil may seem a little odd but it's this: keep a close eye on their programme of forthcoming events as they have a truly marvelous selection.

We were there to hear the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra, together with Freddy Kempf as the pianist playing Rachmaninov's second Piano Concerto, as well as works from Rimsky-Korsakov and Modest Mussorgsky.

Parking is easy and convenient nearby if coming by car - but see below.

Our seats were in the middle of the stalls, giving us a lovely view of the whole stage. My armrest was a little loose: I wonder if it's the only one (between seats R12 and R13). I found the seats very comfortable.

Interval drinks were ordered quickly from the pleasant bar staff before the concert began and ready at the interval.

I think I should add a brief word about the concert, which was quite outstanding. The encores lasted almost 30 minutes. This gives an idea of the quality of performance you can get at the Anvil. We left delighted.

And then it took 20-30 minutes to get out of the parking. I guess the Anvil must take about 1,000 people and when they mostly came by car and are trying to leave at the same time through one small exit, it is traffic chaos.

So top tip number two is to park elsewhere if you can, or go for a post performance drink (non alcoholic for the driver of course) while the traffic sorts itself out.

The Anvil is a jewel in Basingstoke, just a little let down by the nearby parking.

1  Thank msjhaffey
Reviewed 23 May 2017

We've visited both the Anvil and the Forge (a smaller concert venue at the same location) on many occasions, and always enjoyed the evening. Comfortable seats (well, for a concert hall at least), a good view from most levels, decent amplification, friendly atmosphere.

I particularly like the smaller Forge as a venue. But bear in mind that if you are in the front row, you are on the same level and about five feet away from the performers. Which makes for an intimate but sometimes slightly awkward experience!

Reviewed 19 May 2017

Kate Rusby and co 10 out of 10, management 0 ( yes Zero) after listening to several wonderful songs and her great sense of humour. Unfortunately toxic fumes entered the auditorium, we were wondering what the smell of burning rubber was. This day and age people should be kept informed. Wondering if there was a fire...And getting a headache I asked the usher .... they knew and were investigating. The manager Kim arrived and told us privately that it was highways doing the road. They had been told it would happen at 8pm. So diesel fumes and tar fumes were getting drawn in. Kim Thain was more concerned about their upcoming classical concerts than us!!! She babbled away over things that were nothing to do with us which was very odd, there was no apology that we felt we had to leave the show. Customer service was appalling. A refund was refused we had to ring the CEO to get a refund !

Why did they not take an early intermission, shut the vents ( which they only did after my husband told them to) as the lobby area did not smell of fumes but maybe the vents in The auditorium were full on which was drawing fumes in. Health and safety were compromised last night. I also have a concern over their lack of procedures and customer care!

The staff / manager did not make an announcement about the smell to the auditorium it was left to the performer to mention it. Appalling management. I still have a Headache the next day.

1  Thank Coffee4usagain