“Better but. ”

The Black Dog
Ranked #105 of 565 Restaurants in Bolton
Price range: US$4 - US$42
Dining options: Reservations
Description: In 2016, the pub underwent an extensive refurbishment and now offers, what we believe to be the finest dining experience available in the area. Careful attention was given to retain the original characteristics of the building but still providing a contemporary feel inside showcasing an open fire, cosy en-suite accommodation rooms, outside beer garden in the lovely countryside area of Belmont Village. The country pub has added a new menu complimented with Gastro pub specials, a mouth-watering ice-cream parlour accompanied with freshly made desserts that is served throughout the year. For the drinkers, the pubs offers a vast array of premium spirits, selected fine wines and world beers to quench all taste buds.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The food has gotten better but the portions become smaller. I would not order the steak and mash we found it to be very fatty. I still think they need work

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Visited the black dog on Easter Bank Holiday Monday for some food as I had heard good things about the food and I can not deny it is good but was it worth the wait that is the question. I feel like they are extremely under staffed and there is much room for improvement in the service department. Food is good though, if you don't mind waiting for your starter to have digested by the time you receive your main course!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Ate here today and very disappointed considering we live close by. An hour and 10 minutes before food arrived with no pre-warning about any delays. When it did arrive, chicken tikka masala had 4 tiny pieces of chicken in, 3 of us ordered this and all the same! Mum sent sunday roast back, beef so burnt was inedible, replacement meal brought 15 minutes later when everyone else had finished. Desserts, cold ones brought out without much delay, however, son's hot dessert followed nearly 20 minutes later, when everyone else finished. Service very poor, no discount given due to poor food or huge delays, will not return which is a shame as we've been here many times before. Nowhere near as good as it used to be!

1  Thank hold35
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Speed of service seems to have slowed, quality is consistently good, quality of service good, beer very good, atmosphere nice, a warmly feel to the pub, I will go back and recommend

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Visited here a couple of weekends for an early Sunday dinner. We were lucky to get a table as someone was leaving just as we arrived as they were fully booked. We had to wait about 40 minutes for the food but to be fair they did pre-warn us of this -I had Wexford Chicken and my husband had steak in ale pie -both were pleasant enough but nothing too special. We loved the look of quite a few of the desserts and in the end plumped for a pear sponge and a bread and butter pudding -both again were ok. I wouldn't rave about the place but it was decent enough and is very local to me but is clearly super popular.