“Amazing time. Wish we had done it sooner”
Review of Closer to the Edge - CLOSED

Closer to the Edge
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

Just got back from here with my partner and two girls aged 7 and 12. Simply put it was a blast!
The staff were all friendly and helpful and helped ease the girls nerves on some of the scarier parts- the power fan is not for the faint hearted.
We did the climbing wall twice, power fan 4 times each and went round the lower course twice which all fit into the hour and half time limit easily.
We didn't do the high course as our youngest was too small and we didn't want to split up but the staff did offer for us to do the high course whilst they made sure our girls went round the lower course without us, which was a nice offer, but honestly the lower course was fun enough for us so we stayed together.
All in all it was a great time out and brilliant value for money. At no time were we concerned about safety and we will definitely be coming back!

Reviewed 12 July 2016

I took 7 confident and able 10 years old children for a birthday party at 2.30pm. I booked a package which was for "up to 1.5 hours", plus I paid an additional £5 for each of them to go on the zip wire, so I was expecting to be there for 2 hours plus the briefing.
After completing the zip, fan descender and climbing wall, a male member of staff said that if there was enough time, the children could go round the tree trek twice, so the children set off and some of them ran along the equipment (copying the staff), which was impressive to see.
The 1st children came off after 1 hr at exactly 3.30pm, only to be told by a female member of staff that they could only have 1 go.
On phoning up head office to discuss this I had no apology or explanation:
3 main issues:
1) "up to 1.5hrs" apparently means, if you are slow on the course, you have to come off at 1.5 hours, that's the maximum time allowed, not the actual amount of time booked.
2) we arrived at 2.15pm (15 minutes early as requested) for a briefing and stood in a heavy rain shower while the staff sat in their office/hut until exactly 2.30pm when they then came to get the children harnessed up.
2) Why did the staff member say we could possibly have 2 goes on the tree trek if we were quick? Did they just want a longer break before the next group arrived?
3) Including the briefing and zip wire, the children were there for 1 hour, which was a long way short of the 2+ hours I was expecting to be there.
It was a long way short of a good party venue.
On a plus point, the equipment was great and the kids loved it but it was just too short.

1  Thank clairefurnival
Reviewed 4 June 2016

Paid for two 12 year olds and a 8 and 9 year old to do the high ropes and zip wire. I was pleased that the children were all able to take part without an adult having to join in, although brave adults would have a great time too. The course for younger children uses a roller system, once attached they don't have to worry about having to unclip and clip back on and can concentrate on just getting across the obstacles. Anyone over 150cm tall can do the highest course, it is very high but didn't deter the older two at all. All the children got to climb the rock wall several times and had a couple of goes on the power fan defender (a leap of faith from a 35ft ledge). The zip wire was enjoyed by all, it was super fast and gave them a real adrenalin rush.
Staff were friendly, helpful and very encouraging.

CTTE, Guest Relations Manager at Closer to the Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Thank you so much a1psx for leaving such an awesome review!
It sounds like the children had a great time! We pride ourselves on the system we use as it's so safe, we don't like the idea of anyone who isn't trained handling the safety equipment even though it is so foolproof! I will pass on your praises to the staff at the site, and as a way of saying thanks for your kind review please accept 15% off for your next visit down! ring us on 01384 429 866 and quote "a1psx Trip Advisor" if you fancy it!

Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

My girls are 8 & 10 they gave it a shot and loved some parts but were too scared to compete the trekso was I lol.
The team are fantastic and gave my girls the confidence to zip wire and jump off 40 ft ledges, great fun and scary at the same time! Would go again

Hi Sophia!
It sounds like they had a great time and conquered some fears! Thank you for leaving such a kind review, I will pass on your praises to the instructors, we hope we'll be seeing you again soon, please accept 15% extra off as our way of saying thanks! Ring us on 01384 429 866 and quote "Sophia1712 Trip Advisor" if you fancy it!

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 February 2016

Alex and Vic were our instructors, and from the moment they greeted us at the entrance til the time we left we could not have been in safer hands. The whole experience was fun, exciting, scary! but most of all a great experience which I cannot recommend too much. I went with a group of work mates but this would be great for anybody of any age, A GREAT WAY OF SPENDING A WINTERS MORNING!

Simon you are awesome for leaving such a great review, and we're not awesome for seeing it so late! Please accept an extra 15% off your next visit as an apology for not saying thank you sooner! Give us a call on 01384 429 866 and quote "Simon L Trip Advisor" if you want to visit again!