All reviews roasted parsnips course set menu bit noisy at times three courses sunday carvery dumplings big portions saturday night real ale hotel bar breakfast room pudding breakfast was excellent an evening meal lovely room short stay full english
Reviewed 21 March 2017

Sort of trad pub with modern restaurant and rooms. My room perfectly adequate, view appalling over some dirty rooftops and the frame of the window was black and dirty but otehrwise OK, no wardrobe.

The resatraunt food was not cheap but well cooked.

Staff were very courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: My room 32 overlooked dirty rooftops - but quiet
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

My husband and I decided to visit the Grill here and after finding a waiter we sat down and chose from the Grill menu rather than the three course menu. My choice was the sea bass and my husband's choice was the grilled sirloin steak. We thought for the price we were paying that choosing from the Grill menu would satisfy our hunger. We were so wrong! The sea bass was 5 inches in length and 2 inches in width served on top of green beans and a small portion of dauphinois potatoes. When my husband's steak was served it looked really substantial and well presented. So when the waitress came over I said I was disappointed with the small portion size. She went away to consult the chef and the only compensation that was offered was a plate of olives which I declined as I don't eat olives. Sadly this poor service means we are not happy to recommend this restaurant. Customer satisfaction is everything. Sorry 20 at the Kings it's a No from me. I left feeling hungry. With 2 drinks our bill was £38.00 not worth what we paid for.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Stopped in for Sunday roast and was not disappointed. It's a classic carvery with "help yourself" to vegetables which includes all the classics (incl roast potatoes, parsnips etc) on top of the very generous carvery portions.
I'll definitely return another Sunday

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

Came here for a meal, staff were all polite. After waiting for about an hour our food finally arrived. The food was nice. Nothing special but it was nice and was reasonably priced. Overall the experience was mediocre

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2017

I had been in hospital and was discharged on the Friday. We have a flat without a bath and this is what I craved most of all. So we booked in here for the Saturday night, having frequented often for their superb Sunday lunch.

I checked in whilst my husband parked the car, I need a stick to aid my walking and asked if there was a lift or service lift I could use, I was told no and he walked off back to the bar. No offer of help with luggage.

The room was large with all the facilities, the bathroom was huge but the radiators did not work. There was no-one on reception as they were at the bar and "busy". There was also no bath mat which they could not provide and this made it difficult and dangerous for me. The room had been partially updated but the blinds were broken and we had to knock the bed back together as it was coming apart at the bottom right (wooden frame).

We went out for a meal and returned to enjoy a drink at the bar. I am unable to drink due to medication and therefore thought I'd treat myself to a non-alcoholic cocktail. It was 10.15pm and my husband was told, they stopped serving cocktails at 10pm and didn't he know it was a wine bar? So much for pleasing the customer, not a big ask.

It does state on the room booking portal;

PLEASE NOTE that during the weekend we have a regular disco that finishes at 03:00 am in the morning. While the atmosphere is very fun and friendly it can be quite busy and lively up until this time and we hope the impact on your stay will be minimal during these nights.

The impact was not minimal at all. We may as well have been downstairs trying to sleep in the middle of the dance floor. There was also a lot of noise outside until about 4am involving drunken party goers and there were numerous please cars and the blue lights could be seen flashing outside the window. I know this aspect is not the hotel's fault as such, but these individuals could have been their customers.

Breakfast is what made this 2/5. It was freshly cooked, but the prepared fruit and pastries were not displayed and we had to remind the waitress about our toast.

All in all, not what we wanted. Would recommend only if you are one of the party goers who just want to flop at the end of a boozy night.

The staff could also do with some training in terms of attitude and customer service.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple