“Super- and will be fantastic”

National Botanic Gardens, Kilmacurragh
Ranked #20 of 124 things to do in County Wicklow
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First time here - amazing place - in development stage and I can’t wait to go back in a month or so when Magnolias in full bloom. Loved the several Chilean Myrtle which is hard to find and as I am growing several as Bonzai I loved several examples. Area needs more work but al on right track . The restaurant food and staff were excellent on a cold day. Facilities excellent and clean. I believe House is too far gone tonrestore which is a pity

All reviews
"wonderful plants"
"dogs allowed"

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

One of our favourite spots. Really love the gardens.We drop in once a week and are delighted to live so close by. Very fortunate. It's a hidden gem. Put it on your bucket list. Bring your friends and have a picnic. Bring the kids and let them run around far from the hustle and bustle. Guarantee you you'll have a day to remember.
Drop into Brambles where Lisa and the girls will look after you.The food is great
and not expensive. Have nothing but praise for the restaurant and its wonderful staff. It's a great addition to Kilmacurra.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 November 2017

We visited at the end of October 2017 on a beautiful sunny day. As a motorcyclist, it was great to see a proper tarmacadam driveway leading up to the car park. We were also pleasantly surprised to find that there was no admission charge despite the facilities - toilets, good car park and a decent café staffed by 3 ladies. (prices we found very reasonable considering the above). The gardens themselves are magnificent and the winter colours were spectacular. Lots of very unusual and even strange looking tropical plants. And the scene at the pond made for a spectacular photo. Maybe the old house could be restored ? (there is fabulous history to the place and worth researching if you are planning a visit).

Reviewed 1 November 2017

Last visited & reviewed these gardens & (Actons) cafe in May 2017. Gave them both top marks. Visited again on 1st Nov 2017 @ lunchtime, the gardens are better than ever, the cafe, sadly, has gone way downhill! At least, it was on the day we were there. There were two obliging but helpless young ladies behind the counter, enquiries from customers for most types of food, even basics such as bread, sandwiches, rolls, baguettes, knives, spoons, condiments, relishes were met with, "No, sorry, we don't have any here right now" or "No, not right now, I'll see if I can get you some". We asked for two chicken baguettes with stuffing, no butter, just mayonnaise. Like those in the queue ahead of us we were told we could only have white bread. The stingy helping of mayonnaise was spread so thinly I asked for extra mayo, only to be told "There's none here now, I'll get some & bring it to you as soon as I can". The sprinkling of stuffing was minute which was just as well, it looked (& subsequently tasted like) flavourless sawdust. When I was handed the "two" sandwiches I said, "I asked for two, not one sandwich" only to be very pleasantly told, "Sorry, it's the size of the bread we use, the slices are small so it looks like a half sandwich, but it's our full sandwich, actually a lot of people think it's only half a sandwich"!!!!!!! Whatever way they paint it, by any standards it's a miserable half sandwich, at best.......@ €5!!!!! That'd work out @ €10 for what most people would call a normal sandwich!! Coffee was €3 each! The extra mayo I'd asked for (to provide some moisture) arrived halfway through my (half) sandwich, the promised knives never arrived &, in desperation, I used a fork (there were plenty of those!) to stir my coffee. Two "half" sandwiches & two coffees for €16!!! Would I go back again? Yes........if I win the Lottery & if I'm not hungry. But I'll definitely visit the gardens again.