“A little gem in Sligo”
other travellers have booked this property
Bedroom Kitchen, All equipment provided
Kitchen, All equipment provided
Living Area
Country Manor built in 1820's
Mt Shannon 1900's
Mt Shannon (Before 1900's)
Stable-Yard Apartments
Front pic country manor
Washroom
Courtyard
Frontal Picture
Stableyard Apartments
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Amanda K
County Dublin, Ireland
“A little gem in Sligo”
Reviewed 26 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015
people found this review helpful

I stayed in this charming accommodation with my sister on a night out with friends in Sligo. On first arriving, we went through these big gates with enormous pillars with stone eagles flanking either side. What you don't see in the photos are the beautiful long fenced driveway with lush green paddocks either side heading up to a beautiful, old country house. There were even horses and foals grazing, and some sheep, I felt like I was in a series of To The Manor Born, so peaceful and tranquil. We met our host John, who showed us to our apartment, which was one of a few apartments that were originally the stables belonging to the house, which is still their family home (though they don't impose on the guests, they pretty much left us to our own devices but we had John's mobile number if we needed anything). Each apartment has been recently refurbished and done up beautifully. We stayed in number 3 and we were delighted to see that John had left a fresh supply of teabags, coffee, sugar and milk - just what we needed after our 4 hour drive. Because the weather hasn't been great this time of the year, we were a bit chilly inside but only at first, the modern electric wall heaters had the place quite toasty after about 20 minutes. We had been to the shops to stock up on a few beers to have getting ready, turned on Sky to the music channel and got ourselves dolled up to go out. There were plenty of clean towels supplied, we brought our own shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothpaste etc. The local taxi companies knew where to find us and we only had to wait 10 minutes or less for one of them to turn up. We went to a party in Strandhill, which was aprox 15 minutes drive away and about €20 taxi fare. Later on we went out in Sligo town, and the taxi was literally 5 minutes getting us back. After a good few hours of dancing in one of the towns great nightclubs, we fell back in the door and up to our comfy bed upstairs. I brought my dog with us, she is only a little Yorkie and she was very happy with herself running around the courtyard outside, we left her in "watching" telly when we went out. We didn't do any cooking as we weren't there long enough but the facilities are there. We could have brought our laundry I suppose, as there is a washing machine, but that would have been a bit sad - even for me! All too soon we were in the car and driving back home. I will definitely be coming back to the Stableyard for another visit, hopefully for a few days or a long weekend as it was my first time in Sligo and I didn't get to see as much of the area as I wanted to, or take a famous seaweed bath.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I felt like I was staying in a stately home, it was beautiful
Liked least: I didn't get to stay longer, only one night
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing