“Great period farm experience”

Muckross Traditional Farms
Ranked #22 of 119 things to do in Killarney
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The traditional farms are really well done. This is fun for young and old. Lots of animals to see and pet. Lots of historical information and people involved in period activities. I really enjoyed the blacksmith shop. This is a for sure activity.

All reviews
"working farm"
"shuttle bus"
"the loop"

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

From new born animals and various farm breeds, to historic interest in farming and farmsteads, how the rich farmers lived v’s the poor, the loop walk around this working farm has something for everyone, including some gentle exercise through nature.

It took us about two hours to complete, and the children really enjoyed the new born lambs, calves and piglets, plus the homemade bread and butter in most of the farm houses.

The petting zoo meant pats for a donkey, and there was also a playground which was appreciated by the youngest at 8 years, and a school where the Master taught a wee bit of Gaelic and how it was about 100 years ago.

Although we didn’t, due to it being a sunny day, there seems to be a small bus that runs along the route if you are short on time or energy.

Definitely worth a visit... especially if you need some time out from castles and historic houses!

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I was interested in the Muckross Traditional Farms and the first thing I asked at the desk if it was for children because it was just my husband and myself. They said no and explained what I would see. I loved it and I learned a lot. Having an Irish immigrant Grandfather, I am very interested in the history.

Besides the history, I was like a little kid myself seeing all the baby animals: puppies (border collies and wolf hounds), piggies, lambs, calf, chicks.

I enjoyed the actors in the homes and our conversation with the woman building the basket, My absolute favorite was Hugh in the school house. He was charming, funny, knowledgeable and then in talking to him about my Irish history, he connected me to someone who helped me find out more information about my Grandfather and my Grandfather's first cousin who was a famous Irish fiddler! I was emotional when Hugh recited a poem about another Fiddler in Gaelic and even though I don't understand Irish, I was absolutely moved.

It was one of many highlights of our visit to Ireland

Reviewed 4 June 2018

This is a great tour to go on if you are also visiting the Muckross House and/or gardens - it is a short loop walk around a dirt lane providing the opportunity to visit historic small, medium and large farms. There are presenters on-site who are making bread, operating the blacksmith shop and providing information about what it was like to farm and live in another century. And the animals that are wandering around are the best!

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

We went here on a lovely afternoon. The farm is really well done and the kids loved it.

There is a long walk to the first farm and it’s uphill. Our girls 3,5&8, we’re fine - but bought a tactical ice cream at the shop in the way in. After that, everything is pretty close and downhill on the way back.
The workers in the farm are superb and interest really well with the children. The carpenter made their day, by letting them makes holes in wood and sharpening tools.

The baby animals were super cute

The kids playground is also good fun so save time for this at the end of your visit.