Reviews (1 506)
1 506 results
1 465
1 465
All reviews mary and john muckross house killarney national park ring of kerry banana fritters peat fire red deer sitting room tea and cake each morning ice machine saw deer wonderful hosts breakfast was delicious breakfast room helped us plan dingle peninsula
79 - 84 of 1 506 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Friars Glen is located a very short drive from the heart of Killarney. It is within walking distance of Muckross Abbey and the grounds of Muckross house. We walked most mornings and the smell of the grass, the vision of the deer in the fields and the wild flowers are a great way to start the day. Come back to Friars Glen for breakfast to be greeted by the irrepressible Brigit and you will be in for a great laugh. She shows never ending patience and nothing is a bother. When you see your rooms for the first time, you will wonder if you wandered into a fine hotel. Spotless, airy, light and large. although I did find one thing to offer as an improvement and that was to put a mirror inside the wardrobe to assist with drying your hair. Mary said she would get John on to it first thing. Poor John, he is always on the go. As are all the staff.
Mary will greet you with Tea and cake. Your luggage is taken to your room if needed and any and all suggestions, recommendations, maps and restaurant bookings are made seamlessly and graciously.
We had a sneak peak at a new facility which will be worth considering next time if we come with family. a most beautiful, self catered accommodation that sleeps about 6-7, it would be perfect if you are travelling with family members and don't mind making your own breakfasts.
We have stayed here 8 times and actually book our flights around the availability. Do book in advance, this place is popular and you may will miss out if you have not booked ahead.

Room tip: We requested ground floor for an elderly relative and this was accommodated.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Sue M
Reviewed 26 June 2018

I stayed at this lovely bed and breakfast the beginning of June. My room was very cozy and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious in the lovely enclosed porch. Deer would wander into the backyard area each morning. Very peaceful and relaxing.
Brigid was so helpful and full of personality. Mary and John I’m so glad I found your B&B!! It was a pleasure meeting you both.
Best regards,
Cheryl Warren

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank cmurphy22018
Reviewed 24 June 2018

Supremely comfortable, peaceful, and welcoming B&B. John and Mary are warm and helpful. Breakfast is delicious, in a beautiful, bright room with views of the grounds and the local deer. It's about 5 miles outside the town of Killarney, so you'll need a car. (The only walkable place for dinner is the touristy pub attached to the hotel down the road.) But if you want to spend time in the National Park, at Muckross House, or on the local hiking trails, you'll love the location of Friar's Glen. My very favorite spot in Ireland!

Date of stay: May 2018
1  Thank StacyJFCD
Reviewed 22 June 2018

I can only echo what other reviewers have said, The location, the grounds, the home itself, the accommodations, the amenities and the breakfasts were all first rate, but best of all was the kind way we were treated by Mary and Bridget. I would like to go back some day and stay longer.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2018

My second morning I stared at the deer until Brigid interrupted me for my breakfast order, the sassy lass! She's loads of fun, as is owner Mary. So, great personalities were my favorite takeaway; but the cleanliness, great breakfast and beautiful setting were close behind. Close to everyrthing, but quiet.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends