“Mediocre ”

Ranked #10 of 44 Transportation in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I travelled on the Dublin to Galway train last week from Heuston Station and back again today. On both occasions the trains weren’t cleaned properly and the toilet facilities were poor. A mediocre service.

1  Thank porterIreland
in 23 reviews
"cork"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We travelled to Killarney via Waterford, we stopped in Limerick and mallow..we pre booked our seats and it was handy as the trains were getting busy.
I woukd advise bringing your own food as the trolley can sell out quick of sandwiches.
The train from Waterford to the first stop had no trolley service..

Reviewed 18 June 2018

As a U.S. resident who really doesn't want to worry about driving on the left in current or former British territories, I often seek out alternatives which can sometimes involve expensive car hires or guides. Irish Rail did the trick for most of our recent travel in Ireland -- and saved us lots of cash, too.

We actually took another rail line from Belfast to Dublin, but used Irish rail to go from Dublin to Cork and later, from Galway to Dublin. We also took a commuter line from Cork to Cohb and back. In all cases, the trains were on time, clean and I loved the online booking option where you could reserve your seats and even have your names listed above them to make it extra easy to find them. This was an extremely affordable and efficient way to get around Ireland.

We also found the train stations easy to negotiate. One note. Keep your ticket after using it to board. We were surprised to find that in some stations, they wanted us to produce the tickets a second time to exit (fortunately, I had not thrown them away!).

Free charging stations at the seats for phones was great!

Also, at the Heuston Station in Dublin, the taxi stand is not overly well marked. It's to the right after you exit the train platform on the north side of the station. A steady stream of cabs was there, though, once we found it. Thank to the local man who happily pointed us in the right direction.

3  Thank pabirds
Reviewed 12 June 2018

I live in Waterford and use the train almost daily to and from Dublin. Waterford has this wonderful access to the Greenway cycle path to Dungarvin. A regular tourist attraction.
The only problem is is that Irish rail lets it all down, only 4 bike slots on the trains from Dublin and then I think the fee is 8€ to put the bike on the train.
Wouldn't it be great to see a good old box car service accommodating say 20 or so bikes.
An lets face it it is not just the tourists taking bikes, there is more and more daily commuters bring their bikes on the trains.

Come on Irish Rail - do you bit and keep up with the times.

1  Thank EdEllis